Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

After installing ubuntu, partitions are being shown as unmounted and cannot remount

I've been trying to do this all night and I still haven't been able to get Ubuntu to show up after the installation. I'm using rEFInd as a boot manager on my 9,2 MacBook Pro with Ubuntu 13.10. I've followed many different instructions to the T and none of them address this issue.

Tell me if I've done something wrong here:

Installed rEFInd and it works correctly.

Created three partitions on my hard drive. One being Mavericks, one for Ubuntu, and an 8GB partition for the Ubuntu swap file.

I created a bootable USB with Ubuntu 13.10

I restarted into rEFInd but the original boot loader for Ubuntu wasn't working so I used the fallback loader.

It starts in blind mode and starts the try Ubuntu mode.

I clicked install, clicked the install third party drivers so it would recognize all the Apple hardware (wifi, trackpad, etc)

Connected to wifi.

Then it asks to unmount disk partitions so I can change and resize them but I click no because everything is set up.

When it asks how I want it installed I clicked "something else".

I then select my 150GB hsf partition and change it to ext4 and put the mount point as "/" and check the format box.

Then I select my 8GB partition and change it to "swap".

After that is done I click install and it goes through the installation process and I make the account and whatnot.

Here is where the problem starts:

It finishes installing and says to reboot the computer so I reboot.

When it reboots into rEFInd there is no Ubuntu option, only the bootable flash drive.

When I boot into Mavericks and check the storage the two partitions are not shown but my OS X disc is still partitioned.

I check disk utility and it shows the Mavericks partition as fine, yet my two ubuntu partitions are greyed out and are not mounted.

If someone knows what I did wrong or can help I would greatly appreciate it.

MacBook Pro, OS X Mavericks (10.9.1), Mid 2012, i5, 4GB, HD 4000

Posted on Mar 28, 2014 9:12 AM

2 replies

Mar 29, 2014 7:16 AM in response to Blake Mason

I think you will have to find an Ubuntu forum. This sounds like every Linux installation process for the past 20 years.

What exactly are you looking for on Ubuntu? Your Mac can almost certainly already do it. If you do have specific Linux requirements, I would suggest a virtual machine like Parallels. They come with pre-packaged Linux installers.

Mar 29, 2014 8:20 AM in response to etresoft

I have seven Macs and I first started Ubuntu with my PowerBook G4 and I liked it because it's basically OS X but it forces you to learn more about *nix systems where OS X doesn't require you to. I love OS X, but I'm starting to love the Ubuntu UI and how it works. Plus if you haven't seen the game performance lately with it, it severely outweighs it's lack of games. Plus it's the closest thing to SteamOS right now that's actually stable. I'm trying to squeeze as much power out of my Mac as possible and that requires Ubuntu. I think I found the answer I need on Reddit actually.

After installing ubuntu, partitions are being shown as unmounted and cannot remount

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.