Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

App that simply copies folders to user's computer

I wish to create an "App" for the Mac App Store that would basically be an installer for a collection of templates I've created. The templates are for an existing app that is already installed on the user's computer. The templates simply need to be copied into a particular folder. I'm more designer than developer and looking for the simplest way to create this "installer" app. Could the app be as simple as a dialog box asking the user to click the install button to copy the templates? I know this is a simple "app" for you guys - but I don't know the best place to begin. Any helpful advice is appreciated - or if you know of some type of Xcode project that I could use for a skeleton, as I'm a bit lost. I wish Apple provided a generic Xcode project for designer's that did this. Is there a pattern or demo or project for this type app? Thank you!

OS X Mavericks (10.9)

Posted on Mar 28, 2014 11:14 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Mar 28, 2014 3:27 PM

bullrat wrote:

Could the app be as simple as a dialog box asking the user to click the install button to copy the templates?

Due to the sandbox it would have to be more than that. The user would have to navigate to the correct folder. If those folders are hard to find, then the Mac App Store may not be appropriate.

2 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Mar 28, 2014 3:27 PM in response to bullrat

bullrat wrote:

Could the app be as simple as a dialog box asking the user to click the install button to copy the templates?

Due to the sandbox it would have to be more than that. The user would have to navigate to the correct folder. If those folders are hard to find, then the Mac App Store may not be appropriate.

App that simply copies folders to user's computer

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.