Previous 1 2 3 4 5 Next 67 Replies Latest reply: Apr 7, 2014 11:32 AM by 9mario9 Go to original post
  • turingtest2 Level 9 Level 9 (61,105 points)

    The media folder name and location can be customized. Prior to iTunes 9 the default name for the media folder in a newly created library was iTunes Music, since then it has been iTunes Media, but iTunes was concerned with more than just music long before the change. Inertia will get you every time.

     

    tt2

  • 9mario9 Level 1 Level 1 (0 points)

    Hi turingtest2

    Have you ever come across a single person on these forums who succeeded in this re-organisation

    and achieved the desired folder structure, ie iTunes > iTunes Media > Audiobooks, Music, Podcasts, etc.?

  • turingtest2 Level 9 Level 9 (61,105 points)

    Yes, many. The structure (relative position of certain folders) changes but don't expect the media folder name to change automatically.

     

    Presumably you know how to switch between libraries by holding down the shift key? If you are game try this:

     

    Shift-start iTunes and create a library called iTunes Test in the root of your X: drive. Check under Edit > Preferences > Advanced that that media folder is called X:\iTunes Test\iTunes Media - there is an outside chance that it could be set to either X:\iTunes Test\iTunes Music or X:\iTunes\iTunes Music - change if necessary.

     

    Copy a single music track into X:\iTunes Test\iTunes Media\Automatically Add to iTunes.

     

    This track should be added to your library and moved into X:\iTunes Test\iTunes Media\Music\<Artist>\<Album>\## <Name>.<Ext>. If you look you will note that the option to "Reorganize files" is disabled since this library is in the current layout.

     

    Close iTunes. Using Notepad or similar open the hidden file X:\iTunes Test\iTunes Media\.iTunes Preferences.plist and change the integer value from 1 to 0.

     

    Under Edit > Preferences > Advanced turn "Keep..." off and press OK. Then turn it back on again. The track will move to X:\iTunes Test\iTunes Media\<Artist>\<Album>\## <Name>.<Ext> (one level higher in the folder tree).

     

    Close iTunes. Rename X:\iTunes Test\iTunes Media as X:\iTunes Test\iTunes Music. Open iTunes. iTunes will automatically update the media folder to X:\iTunes Test\iTunes Music and be able to play the track.

     

    You can now use File > Library > Organize Library > Reorganize files... to reimpose the modern layout. The track will move down one level, but the media folder name won't change.

     

    Close iTunes, rename the folder X:\iTunes Test\iTunes Music back to X:\iTunes Test\iTunes Media and open iTunes. Again you should find that iTunes has automatically adjusted the media folder location and is able to play the track.

     

     

     

    Please don't take my word for it but try it for yourself. BTW This test, which I just performed again, can be completed in much less time than it takes to type it up!

     

     

     

    When switching between libraries it is worth knowing that each should recall the correct media folder but the options for Keep... and Copy... seem to belong to the user profile, so take care if you (by which I mean anyone reading this) have personally curated file and folder names and are experimenting.

     

     

     

    tt2

  • 9mario9 Level 1 Level 1 (0 points)

    Oh, you're so prolific, and you react to posts immediately.

    At the moment I need a short break (I've been working on it very intensely for the last few days) and keep busy with other things to do. I'll be back soon. And, above all, thanks for all your help! You're just tireless!

  • 9mario9 Level 1 Level 1 (0 points)

    turingtest2 wrote:

     

    When switching between libraries it is worth knowing that each should recall the correct media folder but the options for Keep... and Copy... seem to belong to the user profile, so take care if you (by which I mean anyone reading this) have personally curated file and folder names and are experimenting.

     

    tt2

    Oh, yes! Very important remark! I have noticed that, too, recently.

    IMO that's a very strange feature, as these options, I think, should change with switching between libraries.

  • 9mario9 Level 1 Level 1 (0 points)

    https://discussions.apple.com/thread/2152426?start=0&tstart=0

     

    > The iTunes 9 help menu states this:

    > If you haven’t yet upgraded your iTunes Music folder, you can do so now by selecting

    > 'Convert to iTunes Media folder".

     

    > This renames the iTunes Music folder to iTunes Media, and places all your iTunes library

    > files in the appropriate subfolders (Music, Movies, TV Shows, Podcasts, and so on)

     

    Does it actually say it 'renames' or is it just a user's own interpretation?

    My iTunes v.10.1.2.17 doesn't say that. Do any other versions say that?

  • turingtest2 Level 9 Level 9 (61,105 points)

    I suspect they misquoted the help file, although I suppose it is possible the original text might have said something along those lines only to be edited in the next build. If I can find the time I might even install an old version just to check.

     

    tt2

  • 9mario9 Level 1 Level 1 (0 points)

    If iTunes leaves all the empty directories in their original location ('iTunes Music' folder), do its developers expect me to check and remove all of them manually with a smile in my over 100GB library???

  • 9mario9 Level 1 Level 1 (0 points)

    ...It's like saying "Do whatever you wish, but we don't care".

    We offer you a 're-organise' option but don't guarantee the results...

  • turingtest2 Level 9 Level 9 (61,105 points)

    I suspect they haven't given it much thought. Did you double-check for the presence of hidden artwork files within your old iTunes Music\<Artist> folders? When moving files around as a result of tag changes iTunes only moves the media files themselves. If a folder is emptied by a move (or folder deletion) then it is (normally) deleted. Likewise if iTunes consolidates files it only copies the media. There Is a script on my site called ConsolidateByMoving which also moves any hidden artwork or Thumbs.db files and also produces a warning if there are any mystery files remaining after the last media or artwork file is removed. A variation creates files or folder names longer than iTunes 40 character limit and another I use myself moves files to my personal preferences.

     

    tt2

  • 9mario9 Level 1 Level 1 (0 points)

    turingtest2 wrote:

     

    Close iTunes. Using Notepad or similar open the hidden file X:\iTunes Test\iTunes Media\.iTunes Preferences.plist and change the integer value from 1 to 0.

     

    Under Edit > Preferences > Advanced turn "Keep..." off and press OK. Then turn it back on again.

    tt2

    Maybe I'm wrong but to me it sounds a bit illogical...

    To turn "Keep..." off, iTunes needs to be open, but you say "Close iTunes...., turn "Keep..." off and press OK and THEN turn it back on....

  • 9mario9 Level 1 Level 1 (0 points)

    turingtest2 wrote:

     

    There Is a script on my site called ConsolidateByMoving which also moves any hidden artwork

     

    tt2

    Thank you for your scripts. You certainly do a great job.

    But I only hope that iTunes team don't expect their customers to search for scripts on the Internet just to help them out and do all the work that should have been done by Apple...

  • turingtest2 Level 9 Level 9 (61,105 points)

    Presumably it works fine in the test scenarios that the engineers work with. If you replicated my test you should have seen that as the track moved from one path to the other the empty folders were removed. However if you had Windows Explorer open looking at one of the folders at the time you may have found that iTunes was unable to remove it. Should the request to remove a folder fail iTunes doesn't come back to have another go later.

     

    tt2

  • turingtest2 Level 9 Level 9 (61,105 points)

    9mario9 wrote:

     

    turingtest2 wrote:

     

    Close iTunes. Using Notepad or similar open the hidden file X:\iTunes Test\iTunes Media\.iTunes Preferences.plist and change the integer value from 1 to 0.

     

    Under Edit > Preferences > Advanced turn "Keep..." off and press OK. Then turn it back on again.

    tt2

    Maybe I'm wrong but to me it sounds a bit illogical...

    To turn "Keep..." off, iTunes needs to be open, but you say "Close iTunes...., turn "Keep..." off and press OK and THEN turn it back on....

     

    A sin of omission....

     

    Start iTunes. Under Edit > Preferences > Advanced turn "Keep..." off and press OK. Then turn it back on again.

     

    This is another housekeeping thing... iTunes only checks the paths of items when you edit their tags, or you switch on the "Keep..." preference when it was previously off.

     

    tt2

  • 9mario9 Level 1 Level 1 (0 points)

    turingtest2 wrote:

     

    Presumably it works fine in the test scenarios that the engineers work with. If you replicated my test you should have seen that as the track moved from one path to the other the empty folders were removed. However if you had Windows Explorer open looking at one of the folders at the time you may have found that iTunes was unable to remove it. Should the request to remove a folder fail iTunes doesn't come back to have another go later.

     

    tt2

    I have done exactly the same test before. Nice to read there are others who like testing experiments like myself.