Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Can a mac running windows with Boot Camp be found by Find My iPhone

I'm running Windows on my MacBook Pro via BootCamp and I'm using the Find My iPhone iCloud app on my iPad. My MacBook Pro cannot be found by Find My iPhone, it's labeled as off-line, even though it's connected to the Internet.

So my question is this: is there a way for Find My iPhone to see my Mac while running Windows. Note, I've already got iCloud for Windows installed on the Windows side of my MacBook Pro (and Find My Mac turned on on the Mac side, and while on the Mac side, it's always found, no problem.)

iPad, iOS 7.0.3, iPad Mini, Numbers 2.0 for iOS

Posted on Mar 28, 2014 12:25 PM

3 replies

Feb 1, 2016 5:16 PM in response to Johnny Hands

I am assuming you are running Mac OS and Windows on 2 separate partitions. The "Find My Mac" feature is on the Mac OS partition, so when you run Windows on a separate partition using Boot camp, you cannot access it (with the many features ICloud has to offer that is embedded in the Mac OS). There is a turn on feature in the ICloud settings to turn on "Find My Mac" in the Mac OS, but when you are running Windows the only options to use ICloud are, ICloud drive, photos, and bookmarks. There is no feature to turn on "Find My Mac" on the Windows partition. It does not exist.

My assumption is that Apple did not create the ICloud app (for Windows) to be 100% Windows friendly and are missing a few features on the Windows side. Plus you are using an IPhone which is using an Apple app created for apple products, not Microsoft products. Or else it would say "Find my Windows Phone as well," or "Find my Windows Computer."

Feb 1, 2016 5:41 PM in response to JMuramoto86

Revised

I am assuming you are running Mac OS and Windows on 2 separate partitions. The "Find My Mac" feature is on the Mac OS partition, so when you run Windows on a separate partition using BootCamp, you cannot access it. The Mac OS iCloud has many features to offer that comes with the computer already loaded. Under the iCloud preferences there is a turn on feature to turn on "Find My Mac" using the Mac OS, but when you are running Windows the only options to turn on in the iCloud app are, iCloud drive, photos, and bookmarks. There is no feature to turn on "Find My Mac" running the Windows partition. It does not exist.

My assumption is that Apple did not create the iCloud app (for Windows) to be 100% Windows friendly and are missing a few features on the Windows side. Plus you are using an iPhone which is using an Apple app created for apple products, not Microsoft products. Or else it would say "Find My Windows Phone and Computer as well."

Can a mac running windows with Boot Camp be found by Find My iPhone

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.