Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Formatting an internal HD for PowerPC G5

My powerMac G5 won't boot because the internal hard drive died. I purchased a new WD10EZRX 1.0TB and formatted it via a USB to SATA adapter cable from my macbookPro using "Disc Utility" that came with the macbookPro. When I put the new drive in the G5 and did a "Power+option" boot, the new HD did not show and I could not install the original OSX 10.3. Here are my questions:

1) Is it OK to use the Disc Utility on the macbookPro to format a HD for use in a G5? (I used the "extended" option).

2) I noticed that an external WD hard drive had a "WD Drive Manager" and the new internal HD does not. If it did have a "Drive Manager" It was erased when I formatted it. Does the new HD need a Drive Manager"?

3) If I get the new HD correctly formatted, can I simply drag the old system folder (on a backup disc) onto the the new HD and expect it to work?

I hope someone can help, I have been working on this for 2 days.

Thank you

Barrie

Power Mac G5 (Early 2005), Mac OS X (10.3.x)

Posted on Mar 28, 2014 12:45 PM

26 replies

Mar 28, 2014 5:25 PM in response to Niel

Carbon copy will not copy my backup files because they were made with time machine. I am now using Disk Utility which will take several hours. There are numerous backups made by time machine over two years. There is a huge number of files such as the system files that are repeated. Will Disc Utility clone all the repeated files? If so, there will be many system folders on the new HD. In this event will the G5 still respond to one of the system folders or Should I delete all the repeated system folders before I put the new HD in the G5?

Mar 29, 2014 2:53 PM in response to BDAqua

Yes it is a 10.3 disk. I would buy a 10.5 if I can be sure that i could install it on the HD.

At present I am trying to get a new HD to show up on my G5. I thought I had not formatted it correctly. However, since the old drive was visible (with power+option), I reformatted it and used time machine to install a system folder from my time machine G5 backup files. I verified the HD and tried it on the G5 but it didn't show up. I learned from Niel that a HD will not be recognized if it doesn't have a valid OS. Two questions related to the above:

1: Why would my backup system folder not be valid?

2: If I purchased OS 10.5 and it booted the G5, will a newly formatted blank HD be recognized by the G5?

Thank you Niel for the link and thank you BDAqua for your suggestion.

Mar 29, 2014 4:15 PM in response to barrieJay

1: 10.3.x & Advanced Format don't understand each other, not positive that is the whole problem, but likely in my view.

2: The Retail 10.5 Disc should boot any G5...

Leopard requirements/10.5.x...

* Mac computer with an Intel, PowerPC G5, or PowerPC G4 (867MHz or faster) processor

minimum system requirements

* 512MB of memory (I say 1.5GB for PPC at least, 2-3GB minimum for IntelMacs)

* DVD drive for installation

* 9GB of available disk space (I say 30GB at least)

Classic/OS9 Apps no longer supported.

Trouble is Apple no longer sells it, check eBay & such for the Retail version, not the Gray Discs...

http://www.ebay.com/sch/i.html?_nkw=mac+os+x+leopard+retail+10.5

Formatting an internal HD for PowerPC G5

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.