Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Buy what external drive for iMac backup

OS Maverick (10.9.2) Have max memory 16GB, huge hard drive of a terabyte. USB 2 not 3, not Thunderbolt either. Suggestions of external hard drive to use with Time Machine?

iMac, OS X Mavericks (10.9.2), 3.2 GHz, Intel Core i3

Posted on Mar 28, 2014 1:16 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Mar 28, 2014 1:17 PM

There are hundreds that will work, if you are in the US then my favorite would be a OWC (www.macsales.com) Mercury Elite Pro, for the quality of support, the enclosure quality and the drives they use. If I were to choose a #2 then I'd also look at LaCie's Quardra series.

3 replies

Mar 28, 2014 1:47 PM in response to CSterling

That's not stupid at all, it just means you are thinking this through. When it comes to Time Machine a good rule of thumb is to get drive that has the features you want, i.e. connection speed and also adequate capacity. Most tend to think that a TM drive should have a anywhere from 1.5-3x the amount of storage as the data on your HD. For example I have a 1TB internal HD that is roughly 50% full, my Time Machine drive is 2TB which allows for adequate growth of not only the data I add to my internal HD but to my TM backups.

Buy what external drive for iMac backup

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.