Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

OS X Mavericks is offered as a free download, why is apple asking for a credit card number?

Can someone tell me why apple is asking for a credit card number to download the Free OS X Mavericks?

iMac, Mac OS X (10.6.8), I have Mac OS X Snow Leopard

Posted on Mar 28, 2014 2:29 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Mar 28, 2014 2:40 PM

Normally, you create your App Store account using a credit card so you can make purchases for paid items. However, you can create an account without a credit card for free items only. It does seem odd, but even a free item is considered a "purchase" for the sake of keeping track of them in your App Store account.

15 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Mar 28, 2014 2:40 PM in response to PeppermintPatty3

Normally, you create your App Store account using a credit card so you can make purchases for paid items. However, you can create an account without a credit card for free items only. It does seem odd, but even a free item is considered a "purchase" for the sake of keeping track of them in your App Store account.

Sep 3, 2014 12:20 AM in response to Kurt Lang

I'm in the situation where an Apple ID currently doesn't have an Apple ID. The old information is in the Payment Profile and I can't seem to change that to blank. I can't unassign a credit card from an account. Because it's expired years ago, she can't download Mavericks, which I want to install.

Any idea how I go about this?

Cheers

Sep 3, 2014 6:47 AM in response to BioRich

Any idea how I go about this?

In about the most unlikely place you would think of. Launch iTunes. Login with your Apple ID (the same one you used to login here). At the top right, click on the button iTunes Store. Below that, click Account. You may need to enter your password again. You'll then get an Account Information page. Second line is payment type, which would be the last credit card entered. Click the Edit button to the right of that to update it.

Sep 3, 2014 7:39 AM in response to BioRich

Then see this page I linked to above. It explains what to do if an Apple ID has already been created, but you no longer have, or want a credit card associated with it. Once you have the Apple ID corrected as a non credit card purchasing account, she should be able to "purchase" and download Mavericks. If you're still having trouble, call Apple's Customer Service.

Sep 3, 2014 2:53 PM in response to BioRich

Ah. I was wondering how reinstalling the OS could change that. Didn't make sense, but you seemed to be done.

This page tells you how to remove the credit card on file (the current one being expired). The main point being to click the Edit button and change the choice to None. If you can't select None, or it isn't an option, follow the instructions on this page.

Sep 4, 2014 9:44 AM in response to Kurt Lang

Yes. This is what it says.

Resolution

You might not be able to see or select the None payment option for one of these reasons. If you don’t want to use a credit card, you can use another form of payment, such as a gift card.

If you have an unpaid balance or payment due

You can't select None as your payment type until you pay your balance. To see which order you need to pay for,view your purchase history on a Mac or PC. When you sign in to the store, you might see a message that there was a billing issue with your last order. Click the Billing Info button to see the order.

After you pay for the order, you can change your payment information to None.

If you’re using the iTunes Store or App Store for the first time

If you’re using the store for the first time with an existing Apple ID, you must provide a payment method. After you create the account, you can change your payment information to None.

If you’re creating a new Apple ID, you might be able to create an account without entering your credit card details.

If you changed your country or region

When you change the country or region of an existing Apple ID, you must provide a payment method and update your billing options. If you want to remove your payment method after you change the country or region, you canchange your payment information to None.

She hasn't changed countries nor regions, she's not using the either store for the first time, nor does she owe anything. She doesn't have a gift card. She's just a person without a credit card. She did have one, and now she doesn't.

Sep 4, 2014 10:02 AM in response to BioRich

I was thinking there might be an outstanding balance. That is, an in-app purchase had been made after the credit card expired, and the App Store was waiting for an opportunity to bill it. But since there is no balance, there isn't anything else you can look into yourself. Time to contact Apple Customer Service. Click on the Purchases, Billing & Redemption button, then decide how you want to contact them.

OS X Mavericks is offered as a free download, why is apple asking for a credit card number?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.