Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

mail not working after rebuilding mailboxes

I used the Rebuild feature and now there are no messages in any of my accounts and no mail comes through on this machine even though they come in on my other laptop. When hit the button to get mail, the progress bar shows messages coming through but nothing shows up.

Mail version is 4.6

Macbook pro is running OS 10.6.8

Mac Mail-OTHER, Mac OS X (10.6.8)

Posted on Mar 28, 2014 1:59 PM

1 reply

Mar 29, 2014 6:45 AM in response to Grant Mattox

It sounds like the rebuild failed in spectacular fashion. Was there anything in particular you were trying to accomplish when you attempted it?

Given the symptoms, it sounds a lot like Mail HAS your emails, but one or more are corrupt (likely just one) - the system it uses to display your message list is falling over when it spots them in the database, and so it doesn't show you any messages at all.

How easy this will be to fix is likely to depend on how many email accounts you've got set up, which of these are POP/IMAP based, and whether you had additional emails stored in the On My Mac folders section of the Mail sidebar.

Of course, if you have an up-to-date Time Machine backup of just before the problem, things may be quite simple... If you have no such backups, I recommend starting out by making one.

mail not working after rebuilding mailboxes

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.