Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

App Store tells me to install Mavericks

Hello!

I'm currently running Lion 10.7.5 on my mac.

Anyway, recently there was an update for the app store which added support for notifications. However since I installed the update, App Store has been constantly asking me to update to Mavericks using adware-like notifications. How do I turn off that function? I mean, there are few things more anoying than notifications showing up on the screen while watching movies or whatever!

Thanks in advance!!

MacBook Pro, Mac OS X (10.7.5)

Posted on Mar 28, 2014 3:07 PM

5 replies

Mar 28, 2014 10:08 PM in response to johannesthegreat

See..

Can I stop Software Update notifications in Mavericks?

That thread might have the answer you are looking for.

In that thread, mende1 says:

"The best option would be to turn off the automatic software update check. Open System Preferences > App Store, and untick "Automatically check for updates". By doing this, you won't get notified of any update and updates won't be downloaded automatically"

It does not work for me because I do not have the AppStore pane in System Preferences. That is probably because I am running Snow Leopard and my system software did not come with a preferecne pane for the AppStore. I got it via Software Update but it did not install the pane.

I am hoping there is another way to turn these notices off, for those of us running older OS. I could not find its preference file but IF I do I will delete it and maybe then AppStore will ask me again "Want to get Notices?" and I will say NO, as I knew I should have in the first place!

Since you are running 10.7.5, see if it has a pref pane in System Preferences for the App Store. If it does, maybe you can turn of those notices via that pref pane.

iMac mid-2008 or -2009, 10.6.8

Mar 29, 2014 3:50 PM in response to johannesthegreat

Hmm. That solution I quoted implied a preference pane but maybe Lion does not have it either.

Maybe there is a setting in Software Update that let's you control AppStore's notices? Or maybe there is a setting in AppStore Itself that lets you turn notice off & on? I have looked at all of those options again and I do not see such a setting anywhere on Snow Leopard. For Lion, I dunno.

If you cannot find a built-in place to turn off notices, then the next step is to read this page, wherein we learn that you could probably hide your purchases, since you are running Lion, and maybe that would stop it from checking. I don't see how, though; you have not bought Mavericks. I am willing to bet hiding does not stop Apple from pushing the Maverick's update. But you could try hiding purchases anyway, I guess. That would prevent other notices, I gather.

https://discussions.apple.com/thread/6037864?answerId=25315740022#25315740022

Next: at the end of that page, we see this:

WZZZ NYC

People have been getting that junk since the App Store update, which installed something called Noticeboard.

https://discussions.apple.com/thread/5996547

- a link to a discussion about the nature and purpose and origin of these notices. VERY helpful and informative! We also learn that using Little Snitch to block internet access for the Notification app, which is inside the AppStore app, is the way to stop Apple from notifying you about Mavericks all the time.

Go and read those messages, from start to finish. It is all very interesting and does tell us what is known right now about these notices, and how to block them using LittleSnitch, a useful internet access gatekeeper/restrictor.

I use LittleSnitch. I have now restricted access for Noticeboard. It cannot reach swscan.apple.com on port: 443 or on port: 80 and so far, no more notices! I can check that it is blocked by looking in the log files, where I see that Noticeboard gets a NULL when trying to learn what to bug me about now and so it quits.

in Console app (in Utilities folder) I see this in the Console messages log file...

3/28/14 7:03:21 AMNoticeboard[9252]Noticeboard: Launched, starting NoticeboardUpdateOperation
3/28/14 7:03:24 AMNoticeboard[9252]Noticeboard: NoticeboardUpdateOperation finished with notification to show: (null)
3/28/14 7:03:24 AMNoticeboard[9252]Noticeboard: No notification to show. Terminating.

Buy LittleSnitch from the developer http://www.obdev.at/products/littlesnitch/index.html if you are interested in blocking those notifications from the AppStore.

Others go on to say that the AppStore still works, so no issues there.

And someone gives the method to turn off notifications via the terminal, if you do not have LittleSnitch. OK, but don't do that unless you can figure out how to tuen them back ON via terminal if you DO want them to run every now and then.

Hopes this helps; it contains all I know about this today.

Sandy Wood

Mar 30, 2014 1:00 PM in response to johannesthegreat

Glad the info helped; I was fortunate to find others working on the question and their posts contained the real information on all this. I wish Apple would come up with a 3-D way to see the constellation of answers in one zoomable place. (They had such an experimental 3D text & graphs interface a zillion years ago. Zoom in and out and travel the depths of your machine.)

Firewall. Good idea! Make a note to yourself somewhere about why you did restricted this app via firewall or littlesnitch or otherwise, so it will be easier to decide later if you need to grant access. If you do get LittleSnitch, you'll see it provides a notes section for each item it lists for you to permit/restrict. My problem is remembering I have notes in there.

As for Noticeboard, I am going to let mine run now and then, just to see what Apple thinks we should know.

App Store tells me to install Mavericks

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.