Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Can Correct Information be Highlighted for Ones Question/Concern?

To the Apple Community:

The following is both a question as well as a statement.

First: I ask the following with all due respect...please.

How do we STOP/Correct wrong data on the Apple Support Community and/or Search Engines-then Who is liable when the user utilizes that data?

Is this question appropriate? If not my apology again.

What good is a Resource System if its information is not reliable?
Yes I understand the Apple Community is not part of Apple. I do firmly consider The Apple Community a valuable resource link. One will find correct information as well as incorrect data at this resource. I'm not qualified to make the correct choise all the time nor do I have the time.
I recently spent three trips to the Apple Store with the Apple genius to reverse what I considered a proper avenue to correct a concern of mine. I currently hold no one responsible ---only wishing the correct information would have been available before applying the incorrect solution.
Is there a way to highlight correct advise that has been Posted as a solution?
Thank You In Advance for your direction to my perceived area of need.
Authored Statements: ysureican.____
_______
If the above is considered offensive then I apologise and request it be removed from posting. Next I'll write again until a more proper question is deemed proper for the Apple Community. Thank You Again

iMac (24-inch Early 2008), Well Versed in Apple's OS X & Apps.

Posted on Mar 28, 2014 9:00 PM

2 replies

Mar 29, 2014 12:51 AM in response to ysureican

The information you receive in the forums is from volunteers, not Apple employees.

Questions are answered to the best of the person's knowledge but as you suspect, may not always be correct. So you must only regard replies in the forums as help from good will rather than guarantee. Which of course is why Apple have divorced themselves from the 'service'.

If you want help with a guarantee and your warranty or Apple Care has expired, you must pay for it as a service from wherever. Can you really expect otherwise.

Mar 29, 2014 2:48 AM in response to ysureican

Unfortunately, there's no way to ensure that something a random stranger online tells you is correct. Fortunately, if advice here is really badly wrong - as in, it could harm your system, your data or even your hardware, or is illegal, or anything else along these lines - anyone level 2 or above can report that post to the moderators and request it be removed.

The problem is with advice that is just somewhat wrong. For example, right now there's some adware that is extremely prolific called Genieo. Genieo provides an uninstaller, but that uninstaller leaves hidden components behind. So I find myself in a constant battle to counter advice that involves using the uninstaller.

One thing that can help: pay attention to the poster's level. This is certainly not a sure thing, as high-level posters can be wrong. Anyone can make a mistake... I know I've said some boneheaded things before myself. Plus,I've seen a few high-level posters who frequently give bad advice. But overall, anyone who has achieved a level of 5 or greater (10 being the highest possible) has proven their knowledge level by helping a large number of individuals (at 5 points per "helpful" and 10 per "solved," if I recall correctly).

But in the end, any time you're online, you also have to use your critical thinking skills. Don't take actions that you don't know how to reverse without some serious thought.

Can Correct Information be Highlighted for Ones Question/Concern?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.