Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Steps In Adjusting the Start up Volume on your i-Mac.

OK here is the correct answer to turning down the Start up Sound on your i-Mac intell.

I have heard and read it all as well as being told to download third party solutions. May we put this question to sleep for all individuals wanting an answer now and in the future.

Step 1.) Go to top right hand corner of the monitor and click System Preferences.

Step 2.) Click on icon for sound.

Step 3.) Adjust the slide bar to the first marker on the left. This is a nice starting adjustment point.

Step 4.) Shut down your computer properlyclosing all application then log off then click shut down.

Step 5.) Unplug the power cord in back of the computer.

Step 6.) Hold in the startup power button for a count of 30 seconds (Personally I count to 40 but not needed )

Notation: By unpluging the power chord and holding "In" the Start up Power Button, one resets the i-Mac to the settings you just adjusted as given in the steps above. If you do not hold "in" the power button for the full count, you must start over.

Step 7.) Plug back in the power cord.

Step 8.) Press the Start up Power Button to turn on your computer. The volume will be adjusted.

My Personal Notation:

1.) Remember to adjust the volume down too before you end your computer session as a safety measure.

2.) If you seem not to have the ability to accomplish the above steps, you may consider calling the Apple Store nearest to you for assistance. They will perform the above exact steps. Remember Apple in my experience has always been there for me ...never letting go of my hand until I my concern/problems have been resolved.

May I wish you well and state one final comment? Please do not mute the Start up Volume. This sound is to inform you that your computer has started up properly.

Ta-Da.

You are done.

iMac (24-inch Early 2008), Well Versed in Apple's OS X & Apps.

Posted on Mar 28, 2014 10:00 PM

1 reply

Mar 28, 2014 10:14 PM in response to ysureican

Great instructions! A couple of questions:

Go to top right hand corner of the monitor and click System Preferences.

Which OS version are you running? On Mavericks, Sys Prefs are on the left?

Shut down your computer properlyclosing all application then log off then click shut dow

I quit applications before shut down. And, why log out first?

Would these intructions have anything to do with your other post asking that correct posts should be highlighted and which detailed that you received erroneous information here and had to have Apple fix your problem?

Steps In Adjusting the Start up Volume on your i-Mac.

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.