Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Worrying about viruses on Windows 8 through bootcamp.

So im going to be installing Windows 8 on my Macbook Pro (Ill list the specs below) for games, as there just arent enough decent games for OS X. As the topic states, im going to be using Bootcamp. Ive done my research on how to do it, im well informed on the subject, and im confident I will be able to do it easily. Im not one of those idiots that says Macs cant get viruses, as I completely understand the real reason why there are less viruses on Mac than on Windows. What im worried about is a possible virus on the Windows side of the computer, and it affecting the OS X side. Is this possible? Say I accidentally contract a virus that basically turns my computer into a block of metal. Will it only be the Windows part of the computer? Or will the entire computer be screwed? I doubt ill be getting a virus, im very careful. Im just wondering. Because of the price, I will not be able to replace this Mac, so I need to know that I wont ruin it just to play some games.

2 GHz Intel Quad-Core i7

8 GB 1600 MHz DDR3

Intel Iris Pro 1024 MB

OS X 10.9.2

MacBook Pro with Retina display, OS X Mavericks (10.9.2)

Posted on Mar 28, 2014 11:57 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Mar 29, 2014 2:28 AM

A Windows virus is utterly unable to infect the Mac. If the Windows system has any kind of write access to the Mac partition (I'm not sure whether Boot Camp allows that kind of access or not), it would be possible for a Windows virus to damage the data on the Mac partition, but not infect it. Keep good backups to make sure data loss isn't a big deal.

12 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Mar 29, 2014 2:28 AM in response to Jay_mon

A Windows virus is utterly unable to infect the Mac. If the Windows system has any kind of write access to the Mac partition (I'm not sure whether Boot Camp allows that kind of access or not), it would be possible for a Windows virus to damage the data on the Mac partition, but not infect it. Keep good backups to make sure data loss isn't a big deal.

Mar 29, 2014 6:44 AM in response to Rudegar

on osx the virus scanners are really more about trying to create a market then they are

something one needs to install

Not really. That's simply a common myth, often spread even by high-level members here. We're getting a bit off the topic of malware on Windows in Boot Camp, though, so for those who are also concerned with protecting their Macs from malware, see my Mac Malware Guide.

Worrying about viruses on Windows 8 through bootcamp.

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.