Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Unable to play facebook games which use java script

an auto update was installed and now am unable to play any games on facebook which use java script. everything is messed up. for example : villains on facebook - by uken games. am not a techie so pls advice step by step as to what to do.

earlier i was using chrome to play villains but now have tried using safari, firefox, opera and chrome - its not wrkng prperly in any of the browsers.

MacBook (13-inch Late 2009), Mac OS X (10.6.8)

Posted on Mar 29, 2014 12:43 AM

7 replies

Mar 30, 2014 4:06 AM in response to seventy one

hey seventy one

that combo is already installed on my mac.

i was playing these games (for ex. villains-by uken games, on facebook) since last many months. just recently it all got screwed - just after installing the latest software update. i guess its something related to apple (or may be java) not supporting or switching off the plugin.

tried some terminal commands give in the support forum to disable switching off the java plugin, but that also doesnt work.

Mar 30, 2014 4:11 AM in response to AbAnFi

Given that all browsers are affected, it's indeed more likely to be Java than Java Script. Given that installing updates triggered the issue (this update, more likely then not - http://support.apple.com/kb/HT5676),

there's a decent chance it can be resolved by opening "Java Preferences" (from within Applications => Utilities) and looking for the "Enable applet plug-in and Web Start applications" checkbox.

Note that if you don't visit a site that has need of Java for a few weeks, you can expect Snow Leopard to "helpfully" untick that box again for you. Long story short, Apple seems to consider it a security hazard; if you frequently visit sites you don't trust, you might consider unchecking it yourself.

Mar 30, 2014 4:13 AM in response to AbAnFi

Using Terminal if you are not knowledgeable about it could lead to a problem. Are you technically minded?

You can apply the combo update over the top of a previous loading; it can jolt the system. Worth a repeat.

Apple is trying to distance itself from Java. Unless you need it, it should be turned off ... or when you need it you should turn it on and not forget to turn it off when you have finished. Apple sees it as a security risk.

Unable to play facebook games which use java script

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.