Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Numbers 3.1 - erases content of cells when using copy and paste

I have a spreadsheet that contains formulas in every other column.... A copy and paste of the formulas on this release (delivered with Maverick) erases the content of the adjacent cells in the spreadsheet....

In other words.... If I select cells C6, E6, G6, I6, etc. Command C to copy, then paste these cells into C8, E8, G8, I8, etc using Command V the software erases the content of cells D8, F8, H8, etc.... This copy and paste has worked for years and now it fails, causing me MUCH frustration since the only workaround I have found is to copy the cells one at a time.....

Thanks for your assistance

iMac (27-inch Late 2009), OS X Mavericks (10.9.2)

Posted on Mar 29, 2014 6:35 AM

9 replies

Mar 29, 2014 7:51 PM in response to Badunit

Badunit,

I see the difference. I didn't do a selection before the paste. I assumed that the non-copied cells would skip cells in the paste, and found they don't.

In Numbers '09, it wasn't necessary to make the selection the for the Paste. Here's an example where I Selected cells in Row2, Columns A, C, E and G and Copied. Then I Pasted into cell A4 and Pasted without selecting any other cells. As you can see, columns B, D F and H were unaffected, unlike when you would do that in Numbers '13.

User uploaded file

Jerry

Mar 30, 2014 6:01 AM in response to Badunit

Thanks for your responses. However, I see now that I may not have been specific enough....

This is a financial spreadsheet where I enter current data first then do the copy and paste to calculate the changes from the previous data.

In other words; I input new data into cells D8, F8, H8, etc.... Then perform the Command C and Command V to transfer the formula from C6, E6, G6, I6 etc into C8, E8, G8, I8 etc; when the data is transferred it erases the contents of the new data in D8, F8, H8, etc....

Badunit: While not as easy as selecting just cell C8 before you paste, if you select cells C8, E8, G8, I8 etc. before you paste it will not erase the other cells

. I tied selecting multiple cells and it still erased the new content I had entered.....

My temporary solution to this problem is: I converted my spreadsheet back to Numbers 9, Version 2.3 and stopped using Numbers 3.1....

Thanks for your assistance.... Nice to know its a real bug - - I'll try to upgrade numbers again when the next release is available....

Jul 9, 2014 6:31 AM in response to JJ708

What you want to do can be done in Numbers 3 but it requires a change in your procedure.

1. Enter new data in cells D8, F8, H8. No change from what you are already doing.
  2. Select C6, E6, I6 then Command C (copy). No change from what you are already doing.
  3. Select C8, E8, I8 then Command V (paste). In Numbers 2 you can select C8 only then paste. Now you also need to select E8, I8, etc. before you paste.

I can't say that the new way is a bug or is just the way it works now. Excel does it a different way altogether. If in step 3 I select only cell C8 then Paste, it will paste into C8, D8, E8, etc. (consecutive cells). If I select C8, E8, I8 and try to paste it tells me I cannot do it.

Numbers 3.1 - erases content of cells when using copy and paste

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.