Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

2012 6-core Mac Pro Logic 9 only running 2 cores?

Hi!

I'm running a really large orchestral mock up session in Logic 9.1.8 using five Kontakt 5 16 stereo out plugins running LASS, CineBrass & CineWinds at 44.1 (48k kept falling over due to the same issue below)

The isse is that it seems to keep falling over at random points, however when I look at the activity CPU/HD screen within Logic, only two of the cores/threads is active (see attached)

I remember reading somewhere that this is sometimes due to routing or plugins, however I've gone through and the only problematic plugin I can find is SoundToy's Radiator, however, surely this session should be running evenly across all the cores, regardless of plugins and routing?

2012 2.4 Ghz 6-core | 24GB RAM | 512GB SSD Mac HD | 3TB Audio HD | Mac OS Mavericks 10.9.2

Any feedback/suggestions greatly appreciated in advance!

User uploaded file

Posted on Mar 29, 2014 6:56 AM

4 replies

Mar 29, 2014 9:48 AM in response to Ben Collier

Hi

I presume that you have read these?

http://support.apple.com/kb/TS3834?viewlocale=en_US&locale=en_US

http://support.apple.com/kb/HT3161

http://support.apple.com/kb/HT4426

You may need to split up your Kontakt instances, and/or review what the Kontakt multiprocessor support is set to.

Where ar eyour Kontakt libraries stored (the SSD or the 3tb Audio drive)?

CCT

Mar 29, 2014 10:03 AM in response to CCTM

Hi CCTM,

Thanks for your reply - I have gone through those and tried creating a bus for each section (Violin A,B,C going to a bus (Violin I All) with 1 EQ rather than 1 EQ on each) but it seems to make no difference at all.

I've opened up Kontakt 5 in standalone, and while the processing section is marked for Standalone application only, it was marked as XX, so I've selected 16 cores (even though mine's 12) and rebooted Logic. Let's see what it does!

Worse case I'll try using more instances with less in them, it's just I know Kontakt is a bit of a memory monster so am trying to keep its footprint a small as possible.

All the libraries and samples reside on my 3TB drive which I Drive Genius defrag once every few months, and it's never more than 3 or 4% fragged. Once TB SSD's become realistically priced I might make the move...

B

Mar 29, 2014 10:10 AM in response to Ben Collier

Hi

Ben Collier wrote:

I have gone through those and tried creating a bus for each section (Violin A,B,C going to a bus (Violin I All) with 1 EQ rather than 1 EQ on each) but it seems to make no difference at all.

A few less EQ's will not make much difference.

Are you running all the1st Chair, A, B and C for each section ( violins 1, violins 2, violas etc)? If so, how have you got it all distributed amongst your Kontakt instances?

CCT

Mar 30, 2014 3:33 AM in response to CCTM

Indeed - processing wise there really isn't much more than a bit it EQ - and going to 1 per did nada!

I only use ABC rather than first chair (I find the FC's sound a little too fake and linear)

Kontakt I

Basses All

Cello A, B, C Leg

Cello A, B, C Spicc

Cello A, B, C Trill (these vary depending on the project)

Kontakt II

Same as Cello but Viola

Kontakt III

Same as Cello but Violin II

Kontakt IV

Same as Cello but Violin I

Kontakt V

Various CineBrass

Kontakt VI

Various CineWind/Hollywoodwind

All are multi out instances which go to individual aux outs so Cello A gets an Aux, Cello B to another Aux etc so I can EQ some of the nasty frequencies out etc. before routing to Strings, Brass and Wind busses.

Is there anything in the above you'd advise I route or handle differently?

Thanks again,

B

2012 6-core Mac Pro Logic 9 only running 2 cores?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.