Want to highlight a helpful answer? Upvote!

Did someone help you, or did an answer or User Tip resolve your issue? Upvote by selecting the upvote arrow. Your feedback helps others! Learn more about when to upvote >

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Backing up Time Machine failed

I attempted to copy my Time Machine backup to a new, larger hard drive by dragging the Backups.backupdb folder from the existing drive to the new drive in accordance with these instructions from Apple:

http://support.apple.com/kb/HT5096?viewlocale=en_US&locale=en_US

If I do so, after a long process of counting files, I get this error message:

The operation can’t be completed because an unexpected error occurred. (error code -50)

No good result from a Google search.

What to do next?

MacBook Pro, OS X Mavericks (10.9), iPhone 5

Posted on Mar 29, 2014 9:12 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Mar 29, 2014 9:28 AM

Why not just set up and start a new Time Machine backup on the new drive?

4 replies

Mar 30, 2014 8:40 AM in response to Eric Root

Thanks to both responders for useful answers. Although I did not use either, probably both would work in the end. What I actually did was to boot into a partition containing an older OS (Snow Leopard) and doing a drag-copy from there. It took awhile (1 TB of data) but it worked and the new 3 TB Time Machine containing the old backups was recognized as the new Time Machine after returning to Mavericks.

Why a Finder drag-copy did not work in Mavericks, I’ll never know, but this is not the first “negative” that I encountered since upgrading to Mavericks.

Backing up Time Machine failed

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.