Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

What are all the 'Terminal' Commands?

I use Terminal for fun with the commands and the killall argument command but i really want to know all the terminal commands so that i am not that bored. I always use the commands i know but they are getting old so please help.

PLEASE!!!!!!!!!!!!

Thanks,

Andrew. 🙂 😉

Mac OS X (10.4.11)

Posted on Mar 29, 2014 9:21 AM

11 replies

Mar 29, 2014 10:25 AM in response to imcoolikethat1

Hi, in 10.4.11, there was an older version of Xupport that had a Man Viewer, or you can see all the commands in this directory...

/bin

And in Terminal do man [space] whatever, here's the list on my 10.4.11 Mac...

[

bash

cat

chmod

cp

csh

date

dd

df

domainname

echo

ed

expr

hostname

kill

ksh

launchctl

link

ln

ls

mkdir

mv

pax

ps

pwd

rcp

rm

rmdir

sh

sleep

stty

sync

tcsh

test

unlink

wait4path

zsh

zsh-4.2.3

Mar 29, 2014 11:04 AM in response to imcoolikethat1

The commands are be scattered around the hd. A command is any file with the execution bit set on.😉

The best way to go is to go to your local library and find any book on unix or bash. There will be some difference between what you read and what is available in X. the man command should key you in on the differences.

A book on Bash would be helpful.

Here is the book that I use:

Mac OS X Tiger in a Nutshell: A Desktop Quick Reference (In a Nutshell (O'Reilly))

This is also good & was in my local library.

Practical Guide to Linux Commands, Editors, and Shell Programming, A (2nd Edition) [Paperback] the book Don't be fooled by the name, the second addition includes Mac OS X.

Advanced Bash Script. premise: Examples for everything. I have revision 6.2.
tldp.org/LDP/abs/abs-guide.pdf

BASH Programming - Introduction HOW-TO
http://tldp.org/HOWTO/Bash-Prog-Intro-HOWTO.html#toc14

Apple administrative commands
http://manuals.info.apple.com/en_US/IntroCommandLine_v10.6.pdf

Apple Shell Scripting Primer
https://developer.apple.com/library/mac/documentation/OpenSource/Conceptual/Shel lScripting/ShellScripting.pdf

Check you local library. Any book on Bash syntax will do. There will be minor differences but they will not be great.

Sometimes you can get a good deal on used books in Amazon.

Bash Cookbook, Carol Albing, JP Vossen & Cameron Newham (O'Reilly)

Apr 5, 2014 12:01 PM in response to BDAqua

I was being a little flippant about a command includes anything with the execution bit on.

The point being is that commands are not precisely defined when it comes to an individual user or system.

I better list of commands would be what is defined by man pages. To see the types of man pages see:

man man

see 1, 6, and 8.

Robert

Apr 5, 2014 4:02 PM in response to BDAqua

# All man pages for 1 man pages  -- Executable programs or shell commands
# You do not have to have a man page for a command .  Probably all from Apple do.

me $ pwd
/usr/share/man/man1
# There are 2,248 man pages.
me $ ls -l | wc -l -
2248 -

me $ cd ..
/usr/share/man
# Here are the other types of man pages.
me $ ls
ca/       en/          hr/  ko/       man2/   man4/   man6x/  man9/   pl.UTF-8/  ru/  zh/
cs/       eo/          hu/  man0p/  man2x/  man4x/  man7/   man9x/  pt/          sk/  zh_CN/
da/       es/          id/  man1/   man3/   man5/   man7x/  mann/   pt_BR/     sv/  zh_TW/
de/       fr/          it/  man1p/  man3p/  man5x/  man8/   nl/       pt_PT/     tr/
de.UTF-8/  fr.UTF-8/  ja/  man1x/  man3x/  man6/   man8x/  pl/       ro/          uk/
me $

Apr 6, 2014 1:08 PM in response to BDAqua

You may have gotten too much. Did you include the translations? like de, es, fr?

Anyway, we are getting carried away.

I was pointing out the Original Poster was making the wrong request. You become familiar with a basic set of commands like what you first posted. You then pick up the rest when needed. Usually, I find what I need via an internet search or post.

Surprisingly, this may work:

find /usr/share/man* | wc -l

Robert

What are all the 'Terminal' Commands?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.