Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Ranking a table with letters in them….

this is addition to my last question,(using numbers to track billing units) i have my tables built and almost finished the last part is the only problem I'm having now....I'm trying to figure out how to rank a set of values (some of which have a lower case r next to them) and then add all like values of the same together from separate table ill try my hand at posting screen shots what i have so far. thanks in advance.....one final one i haven't figured out how to fill codes down codes down for the whole column but i just copy paste and thats been working for me.

User uploaded file=SMALL(numbers,1) is the formula used for unit codes

the following is the table the information is being pulled from....

User uploaded file

iPad, Have phones and macs to link up

Posted on Mar 29, 2014 12:50 PM

12 replies

Mar 29, 2014 1:34 PM in response to LuckyLine

Post a screen shot, using the camera icon above the compose window.

To take a screen shot:

• Show the part you want to take on the screen.
  • Place the mouse pointer at one cormer of the rectangular area you want to snap.
  • Press shift-command-4
  • The pointer will change to a crosshair.
  • Press and hold the (left) mousebutton, and drag the crosshair to the opposite corner of the area you want to snap.
  • When the area you want is enclosed by the selection rectangle, release the mouse button.

The Mac will place a png file named "Screen Shot" followed by the date and time, on your desktop.To post the screen shot in a message here:

1. Place the insertion point on a line by itself.
  2. Click the camera icon above the composition window.
  3. Click Choose file.
  4. Locate and click the screen shot file.
  5. Click Choose.
  6. Click Insert image

On the first time you do this after each time you log in to the discussions, you will probably need to do steps 2, 3 and 4, then cancel, close the Insert Image window, and restart from step 2. The camera often needs this extra nudge to wake up.

Regards,

Barry

Mar 29, 2014 1:50 PM in response to LuckyLine

"I'm trying to figure out how to rank a set of values (some of which have a lower case r next to them) and then add all like values of the same together from separate table ill try my hand at posting screen shots what i have so far. thanks in advance.....one final one i haven't figured out how to fill codes down codes down for the whole column but i just copy paste and thats been working for me.

User uploaded file=SMALL(numbers,1) is the formula used for unit codes

the following is the table the information is being pulled from.... "

SMALL, LARGE and RANK can be used only with numerical values. The r appended to a number makes the whole string of characters a text value.

Can you replace the r with a decimal value, added to the numerical part, as shown in the examples:

10.2 becomes 10.2

10.2r becomes 10.21 (10.2 + 0.01)

For consistency, this would require r to always convert to the same number, and that number to be smaller than the value of the rightmost place value of any existing item number.

For example, if no existing item number has more than 3 places after the decimal, r could be coverted to 0.0001

Regards,

Barry

Mar 30, 2014 12:04 AM in response to LuckyLine

Hi LL,

one final one i haven't figured out how to fill codes down codes down for the whole column but i just copy paste and thats been working for me.

Whatever works for you is fine. But to answer your question, here is how to Fill Down in Numbers 3.

From Barry's reply 29/03/2014 6:49 PM (in response to Yellowbox)

G2, and filled down: =IF(COUNTIF($B$2:B2,B)=1,B,999999)

Enter the formula in G2. Press enter to 'fix' it in that cell. Click on G2 to select it and hover the cursor over the bottom border. The yellow dot is a Fill Handle. Drag it down to Fill.

User uploaded file

That also works with Fill Left, Right and Up. 😉

Regards,

Ian.

Mar 30, 2014 6:52 AM in response to Yellowbox

User uploaded file

User uploaded filethis would be the new "database" of what i have done for the day, as you can see some have r values wich stand for remove... if you cant tell i do linework 🙂 i hope this helps, i havent had time to try out ranking the the r number as .00001 that would work tho i think, then maybe i could write an additional formula to replace .0001 with "r" after? if not not a huge deal but it would look nicer...i am trying to write it to be user friendly not only for me but a few older linemen at work(who know 0 about computers and can barly type...i suspect they will stick to pen and paper), showed the boss what i had so far and he was impressed. I sighted you guys as giving me alot of help...unfortunatly i couldnt figure out how to put numbers on my ipad 1st gen so ill have to take my mac book to work but its a small issue i can handle.

Mar 30, 2014 12:30 PM in response to LuckyLine

Hi LL,

This might do it:

User uploaded file

Data entry is done in the first three columns of Daily Record input.

Formulas in columns D, E and F are unchanged from the earlier examples.

New formula for column G (Index) does the necessary conversion of codes ended with "r".

G2, and filled down: =IF(COUNTIF($B$2:B2,B)=1,IF(RIGHT(B,1)<>"r",B,LEFT(B,LEN(B)-1)+0.0001),999999)

Summary table:

Three formulas need changes. All are filled down to the last body cell in their respective columns.

Column A: The index column does not include the item codes tagged with an r, so the previous formula needs to be replaced with a LOOKUP statement that uses the index as a search value, then retrieves the associated item code from column B of Daily Record.

A2: =IF(ROW()-1>COUNTIF(Daily Record Input :: G,"<999999"),"",LOOKUP(SMALL(Daily Record Input :: G,ROW()-1),Daily Record Input :: G,Daily Record Input :: B))

Columns B, C and D: References in the previous formulas to the index column (G) are changed to column B, where the original item codes match those in column A of this table.

B2: =IF(LEN(A)<1,"",SUMIF(Daily Record Input :: B,A,Daily Record Input :: C))

C2: =IF(LEN(A)<1,"",LOOKUP(A,Daily Record Input :: B,Daily Record Input :: D))

D2: =IF(LEN(A)<1,"",LOOKUP(A,Daily Record Input :: B,Daily Record Input :: E))

"unfortunatly i couldnt figure out how to put numbers on my ipad 1st gen so ill have to take my mac book to work but its a small issue i can handle."

On the current iPad, the text keyboard can be switched between text and numbers + punctuation by tapping a 'key' labeled .?123 (located at each end of the space bar). The process migth be similar on the gen 1 iPod.

Regards,

Barry

Mar 30, 2014 3:41 PM in response to Barry

Barry thanks that worked! its now running complete and smoothly, so now my units will take me about 5 min rather than 45 and errors should be reduced to 0, thanks for all the help with the programing, you guys are great......

there was some confusion on what i meant about numbers......sry "numbers" i can figure out, the program Numbers i couldn't get to load onto the iPad, unfortunately i bought the disks and didn't buy it through the app store(was informed it couldn't be loaded onto the ipad....i considered buying it for my ipad but its the 1 gen iPad and although the ONLY thing i need it to do is this one program i cant do it.....not happy with apple about it......unless there is a work around. That will be my next chore:/

Mar 30, 2014 6:18 PM in response to LuckyLine

Hi LL,

The disks contain the iWork '09 (or possibly '08) applications. Whichever it is, these work only on OS X, the Mac operating system. Numbers for iOS runs on iPad and other iDevices, and was never available on a disk.

The current version of Numbers for iOS is incompatible with Numbers '09, so if you wanted to move files back and forth between your Mac and the iPad, you'd need to upgrade the version on your Mac as well as installing the current iOS version on your iPad. But to run the new versions, you'd also need to upgrade the OS on both the Mac and the iPad.

Depending on the models of the Mac and the iPad, and the versions of the OS currently installed on each, getting to the current versions of iOS and OS X could be free, costly, more costly, or not possible.

Your best workaround, for the time being, might be to continue using the MacBook in the field.

Regards,

Barry

Ranking a table with letters in them….

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.