Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

I think my logic board is going

Recently by MBP is doing some weird things...

Sometimes:

1. Screen would go black, but keyboard would remain lit up. If I closed the lid, the Apple sign would remain lit on the lid. Would not go to sleep

or 2. Screens would go off centre and become unresponsive

0r 3. Screen would go blank with just some fine vertical lines

or 4. lines of text would break up horizontally and become unresponsive

Under all the above conditions I would have to reboot.

Sometimes it would happen again right away (within 5-10 minutes) or not for the rest of the day

I took it to an Apple Authorized repairer to have a quick look... the attached it to the cable that connnects to Apple's Hardware tests.

Everything came up working fine including the display. But they suggested keeping it to do a deeper investigation. I'll need to take out my primary hard drive first, cause I need that for work.

So, I'm suspecting that the Graphics card/logic board is the problem.

Has anyone here experienced anything like this?

I've found a 2nd-hand logic board on eBay for $600 but it is the slightly faster processor. Mine is 2.4ghz, this one is the 2.53ghz

Should I just get it?

User uploaded fileUser uploaded fileUser uploaded file

MacBook Pro (17-inch Late 2011), OS X Mavericks (10.9.2), 2.4Ghz/16GB/1TB+750GB HDs

Posted on Mar 29, 2014 1:09 PM

1 reply

Mar 30, 2015 12:19 PM in response to TriniG

This is what could be wrong. Mine looked just like your pic. Your Apple store has the equipment to test it. Do a backup before

you take it to the store. All pic are the greatest tool you can give them to help.....

Go to Apple Web page, scroll down to bottom:

Exchange and Repair Extension Programs

Apple has determined that a small percentage of MacBook Pro systems may exhibit distorted video, no video, or unexpected system restarts. These MacBook Pro systems were sold between February 2011 and December 2013.

Apple or an Apple Authorized Service Provider will repair affected MacBook Pro systems, free of charge. See below for details on affected models and service options.

Symptoms

An affected MacBook Pro may display one or more of the following symptoms:

• Distorted or scrambled video on the computer screen
  • No video on the computer screen (or external display) even though the computer is on
  • Computer restarts unexpectedly

Products affected

• 15-inch and 17-inch MacBook Pro models manufactured in 2011
  • 15-inch MacBook Pro with Retina models manufactured from Mid 2012 to Early 201

I think my logic board is going

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.