Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

What is the best DVD Creator for a Mac Book Pro to replace iDVD?

What is the Best DVD Creator for a Mac Book Pro to replace iDVD? Have Maverick OS.

Posted on Mar 29, 2014 3:05 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Mar 29, 2014 4:18 PM

In all honesty there is no acceptable alternative to iDVD.

Why is there no iDVD on my new Mac? How do I get it and how do I install it?

https://discussions.apple.com/docs/DOC-3673

37 replies

Mar 30, 2014 2:14 PM in response to Klaus1

I am trying to salvage VHS tapes of children & grandchildren using Elgato and iMovie and when trying to burn a dual layer DVD iDVD (which I have just won't do it without error messages). So looking for one that will easily burn dula layer DVD's . Maybe all titles & themes will have to be made in the future on iMovie....as long as it lasts!

Mar 30, 2014 4:04 PM in response to Klaus1

I have already looked at other threads in this forum, so 'I venture forth' to ask my question here:

I have a 44 minute carefully edited iMovie with several chapter markers. I dimly recollect that when you 'dump' the entire movie into iDVD (my version is 7.1) it should detect the markers and create buttons to link to specific scenes. Well, the 'dumping' process obviously doesn't work.

How do you get iDVD to recognize the markers and ceate buttons to link?

I can create with iDVD a DVD that will play the movie in its entirety. This is not suitable for my purposes. I need access via a menu to specific scenes.

Thank you,

Klaus

Mar 30, 2014 4:13 PM in response to Joyce Vogt

Assuming that the error message happens during the actual burning process (not the encoding) there is no more finicky gadget on the market than Apple's optical drives. Somewhere I read that they play well with 'Verbatim' discs, and very few others.

I have only just now gone back into burning DVDs after four years. My RCA discs come out, all right, but on play back with Apple's optical drive, it 'had to skip over damaged areas.' A brand new disc out of the container...

Mar 31, 2014 12:59 PM in response to Old Toad

The error code I get is:

Communcation with the disk drive failed error code: 80020022"

Length is 1 hr. 59 minutes or close to 2 hours.

Also after finally getting one good DVD using "Best Performance" on the iMovie 2 hrs. long made with iMovie 10.0.2. I tried to make a 2nd and 3rd one before closing out & it runs for 56 minutes ....ejects and DVD & says less than one minute left....can do this for 15 minutes until I cancel it.

Mar 31, 2014 1:05 PM in response to Joyce Vogt

Coming from iMovie use the Share ➙ Media Browser menu option instead of the Share ➙ iDVD option.

Length is 1 hr. 59 minutes or close to 2 hours.

Is that with the menu playing time included? That's so close to the limit I suggest you use a non annimation theme and do not add any music to the menus. Also use Professional Quality encoding.

Follow this workflow to help assure the best qualty video DVD:

Once you have the project as you want it save it as a disk image via the File ➙ Save as Disk Image menu option. This will separate the encoding process from the burn process.

To check the encoding mount the disk image, launch DVD Player and play it. If it plays OK with DVD Player the encoding is good.

Then burn to disk with Disk Utility or Toast at the slowest speed available (2x-4x) to assure the best burn quality. Always use top quality media: Verbatim, Maxell or Taiyo Yuden DVD-R are the most recommended in these forums.

What is the best DVD Creator for a Mac Book Pro to replace iDVD?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.