Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Best router for AirPlay

I'm moving to a small apartment and need to buy a new router for my cable connection.

Is there a recommendation for AirPlay performance from my MacBook to my AppleTv?

AppleTV 2, OS X Mavericks (10.9)

Posted on Mar 29, 2014 7:25 PM

9 replies

Mar 29, 2014 7:58 PM in response to vazandrew

Setting up Plex, I remember making some minor configurations such as enabling UPNP - I am not sure if this is possible as I don't have an apple router.

From what I have read I do believe the quality of the router does have a bearing on the stuttering and quality of AirPlay. This is one source - but I'd be keen to know if you disagree: http://isource.com/2012/03/31/a-few-tips-for-improving-airplay-mirroring/

Apr 28, 2015 2:13 PM in response to ciavarella

From what I have read I do believe the quality of the router does have a bearing on the stuttering and quality of AirPlay. This is one source - but I'd be keen to know if you disagree: http://isource.com/2012/03/31/a-few-tips-for-improving-airplay-mirroring/

A few reactions to the article:

1) I have both an ASUS RT-AC66U (as my router) and a Time Capsule (for Time Machine but also as an additional wireless access point). Both do well with AirPlay. Neither is cheap.

2) If at all possible, follow the suggestion about using a wired connection between the router and Apple TV. That gets rid of wireless interference issues and gives you 100Mbps, dedicated.

3) Configure the 5GHz network with a unique SSID and use that for your AirPlay devices. The closer your device is to the router, the higher the data rate you'll get.

4) If you AirPlay from a Mac, you have the same option as #2 to use a wired connection. There there is no "Air" but you still get the "Play" 🙂

Best router for AirPlay

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.