Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

special character is boldface

I am using a special character frequently in a long document (an "a" with a long bar above it). I am working in Pages 5.1, running on OSX 10.9.2. Unfortunately, the special character appears in boldface and prints in boldface as well. I have tried deleting and reinserting it, but it remains boldface in the middle of a word - (Sepāh). I have also tried bolding and unbolding the entire word.

Does anyone have any other ideas as to how to get rid of the boldface?

Eric

OS X Mavericks (10.9.2)

Posted on Mar 29, 2014 8:47 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Mar 29, 2014 9:11 PM

The way special characters work is that if your current font does not conatin the charcters OSX will hunt it out of another font that does.

I think the character is not actually bold it it simply is a heavier looking font.

If you have need of extended chatcter sets stick with "Pro" otf fonts that have them or the standard extended unicode set fonts such as Time New Roman, Arial, Lucida etc.

Peter

2 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Mar 29, 2014 9:11 PM in response to TickTock1948

The way special characters work is that if your current font does not conatin the charcters OSX will hunt it out of another font that does.

I think the character is not actually bold it it simply is a heavier looking font.

If you have need of extended chatcter sets stick with "Pro" otf fonts that have them or the standard extended unicode set fonts such as Time New Roman, Arial, Lucida etc.

Peter

special character is boldface

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.