Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Seagate 1TB won't mount after mavericks upgrade

Last night I upgraded my White early 2009 macbook from snow leopard to mavericks 10.9.2 and now i cannot mount my Seagate 1Tb external usb hard drive, It appears in disk utility and the drive is there but the partition on the second line is faded and it will not mount. When i try to mount the drive i simply get an error telling to run first aid but first aid simply tells me that i need to format the drive. as this is my main drive with all my back ups on it i do not have another drive that can hold all of my data. also when i booted the macbook into the recovery module after holding option at startup the drive appeared healthy and fine under disk utility there but under the full os i cant open it in Finder. Its not the drive as i can use it perfectly fine on my other laptop and pc. I need this resolved asap please 🙂

MacBook, OS X Mavericks (10.9.2)

Posted on Mar 29, 2014 10:24 PM

20 replies

Mar 31, 2014 4:52 AM in response to nzhansen

Replace the drive then with one that has no built-in backup software. You may not be able to see it on the Mac, because it is not designed to work with anything but an older operating system. You could possibly reformat it with the Mac, after backing its data elsewhere, to remove any possibility that software might be what's making it invisible.

Mar 31, 2014 7:23 PM in response to a brody

This drive did not have any backup software it was purely an expansion drive for extra storage. I also do not have a drive with enought space available to back up the data to. that is my problem otherwise i would just reformat the drive. I what i dont understand why the drive works on every other system i can use Linux, Windows 7, Windows XP, Windows 8, and before hand the macbook and now apple have made it unusable when the drive is a late 2013 model?

May 15, 2014 4:56 PM in response to nzhansen

The problem is vendors that decide to put firmware on their drives that break with software updates. Vendors that make hard drives with their own backup software fail to recognize many platforms may use the drives, and without offering a software free version of the drive, they basically limit their customer base. Recover the data with software such as Prosoft Data Rescue, if you have no other backup:

http://discussions.apple.com/docs/DOC-1689

And get rid of the drive, and get one that is platform agnostic with no built-in backup software. Use Carbon Copy Cloner or Time Machine for backup.

May 16, 2014 12:24 AM in response to a brody

The problem isn't that ive lost the data and my drive didnt come with any software either thats why im stuck, as it was a clean drive and works on all platforms even my tv! and did untill this update on my mac, I would be more inclined to downgrade back to before the mavericks update? is there a way i can forcefully downgrade it back to the old os that worked? with out reformatting my laptop...?

May 16, 2014 5:18 AM in response to nzhansen

Not without making some applications unusable. A clone backup can restore the notebook back to the prior operating system, if you made one prior. Or if the last Time Machine backup was of the prior operating system, the internet restore can be done to the prior operating system.

But installing an old operating system on a new, you will find newer applications will not work on older operating systems if they weren't designed for them, or weren't installed on them. Not to mention some drivers that existed may create untenable problems in the same manner.

You can modify your internal hard drive partitioning without erasing it, but that is risky if there is anything invisible that is marginal about the internal drive. I would still make a clone backup before attempting it if there was none made before.

At this point I'd try to recoup the loss on the hard drive if it is past the return period where you bought it from on http://www.gazelle.com/ and then get a compatible hard drive from http://www.macsales.com/ to make any clone you need. If there is any data you need on that hard drive, recoup the loss after you install an older operating system on a USB Flash drive such as a 32 GB.

Sources for getting each Mac OS X version prior are on my user tips:

https://discussions.apple.com/docs/DOC-3761 and earlier.

Jun 16, 2014 3:49 PM in response to Moshik008

No sorry, I didn't try that as i already had an NTFS mounting tool on the laptop. The only solution i found worked in the end was rolling the Macbook mack to the installation of snow leopard that came with it on disc, After having to remove the HDD and plug it into my pc to clean it!! If anyone finds a solution ill still be interested to know

Seagate 1TB won't mount after mavericks upgrade

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.