Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

How do I Turn Off HDMI Audio

Hi, I love my Mac Mini, I really do. But this little problem is driving me batty!

Speaker 1

I have my Mini plugged into an HDMI monitor, and as you probably know, HDMI monitors have a speaker built in (or at least mine does).

Speaker 2

I also of course have my internal Mac Mini speakers.

Speaker 3

I sometimes connect my bluetooth headphones, especially when watching a film or gaming.

The problem occurs when I either disconnect my headphones, or the system comes out of standby. When this happens, it defaults to the HDMI output, which is not only rubbish, but not easily controlable. I can't use the volume keys on my keyboard, and must resort to clucky buttons on the monitor.

What I want, very simply, is to disable the HDMI output on the Mac, so if I'm not using my headphones, it defaults to the internal speakers.

Is this possible, and if so, how?

Mac mini (Late 2012), OS X Mavericks (10.9)

Posted on Mar 30, 2014 8:46 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on May 5, 2017 11:48 PM

4-5 yrs after the fact, If anyone still comes across this issue, I think this is the answer you're looking for.. At least it was for me and I THINK the OP and I had the same concern. I would close the lid and lose audio to my bluetooth headset and get it on the tv.

Hold down the "option" key and click the sound icon in the top bar. Select your desired output source. Done.

http://osxdaily.com/2013/05/04/use-hdmi-audio-output-mac-os-x/

12 replies
Question marked as Best reply

May 5, 2017 11:48 PM in response to Rmineart

4-5 yrs after the fact, If anyone still comes across this issue, I think this is the answer you're looking for.. At least it was for me and I THINK the OP and I had the same concern. I would close the lid and lose audio to my bluetooth headset and get it on the tv.

Hold down the "option" key and click the sound icon in the top bar. Select your desired output source. Done.

http://osxdaily.com/2013/05/04/use-hdmi-audio-output-mac-os-x/

Mar 30, 2014 2:14 PM in response to BDAqua

Thanks for the info BDAqua, didn't think to look there.

But alas, it didn't work. There aren't any settings to remove a device. You can flag a device to play sound and/or alerts, but it isn't sticky. When I activate and then turn off my headset, it defaults to the HDMI output even though I just set it to internal speakers.

There also isn't a way to set the priority for which one to be selected first.

Den, I do that already, but am hoping to find a way to configure it permanently. I shouldn't have to select it every single freaking time. Apple is smarter than this, it should just know.

There also isn't a way to disable or configure the speakers on my monitor.

I've also looked at system settings, and the actual audio devices. No settings there to do what I want it to either.

:/

Oct 1, 2015 5:56 AM in response to Rmineart

This fix seems to be working for me: http://osxdaily.com/2013/05/04/use-hdmi-audio-output-mac-os-x/ but I'm not sure if it stays after a reboot.

Alternatively, you can plug a pair of cheap headphones into the HDMI monitor and cut the buds off. Then, it will effectively permanently mute the HDMI monitor. You'll still need to switch the audio, but at least you won't hear it while you switch.

Nov 30, 2016 11:03 PM in response to Rmineart

I think I found a solution! It's not about the audio output - it's about what display is your 'main display'. You need to go to System preferences > Display > Arrangement. Here, drag that little white title bar on the main display screen, which currently will be on the HDMi display, to your mac display. Apple will always keep the audio output corresponding to the main display as the main audio source. Once you change the main display to your inbuilt display, the HDMi audio output is never used by default! This solved it for me.

How do I Turn Off HDMI Audio

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.