Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Show hidden files in finder search results

I discovered my backup HD was rapidly full because of After Effects Cache folder hughe size.
I fixed it in CCC to not to backup that directory but I need to remove all the old ones.

I am able to see them under Users/Library....... (hidden by default). I also have deleted some 50Gb AE cache folders.

But I have a lot of folders.

I've tried to search all of them 'Adobe After Effects Disk Cache' but finder search does not display them. I also tried Terminal 'locate' on /Volume/HDbackup, no results

Thanks

iMac, OS X Mavericks (10.9)

Posted on Mar 30, 2014 8:47 AM

11 replies

Mar 30, 2014 9:50 AM in response to VikingOSX

Hi Viking, thanks for your help.

The purpose to get them in Finder search result is to select them all and send them to trash at once.

To test your commands I changed

'~' by /Volumes/....../_CCC\ Archives and '.*' by 'Adobe After Effects Disk Cache'

I got lots of 'permission denied'

I also tried

find -x ~ -name 'Adobe After Effects Disk Cache' \( -type d -exec find {} \; -prune -o -print \) 2>&1 > hidden.txt

where it is supposed to find one result but hidden.txt was empty

'Adobe After Effects Disk Cache' is a directory

What do you suggest?

Thank you

Mar 30, 2014 10:01 AM in response to Daniel Stonek

Add System Files and File Visibility to the list of criteria in the Finder Search.

When you cmd-f to search, there is an initial criteria of Kind. Select that menu and choose Other…

From the dialog that opens, search for both of the above criteria and check the box next to each to put them in the menu.

Then, when you want to search for something that is not visible and/or a "system" file, add those criteria to the search.

Show hidden files in finder search results

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.