Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

I am so disappointed in Mavericks. I am a music producer and after installing the new OS, I can not work. My midi audio interface by M Audio will not work with Mavericks. No driver updates, I also had to upgrade to Logic Pro. $199. So much for the free OS

My midi/audio interface by M Audio does not work with the new Mavericks OS. I also had to upgrade to Logic Pro. A $199 upgrade, and now a new midi audio interface? So much for the free OS system. I can not work now either and this is my liveliehood! I wish I would have not dpne this "upgrade". Can anyone help me with an audio/midi interface that works with the new system???? Any help so I can get back to work would be greatly apprteciated!!!

Mac Pro, OS X Mavericks (10.9.2), Midi and audio interface not workin

Posted on Mar 30, 2014 8:09 AM

11 replies

Mar 30, 2014 8:44 AM in response to pyandall

This is why I quit using M-Audio hardware.They are terrible at providing drivers for new OSes. I now use an Edirol FA-66, which is OS X CoreAudio compliant, so does not need any drivers.

Logic 9 works on Mavericks. I believe there are some issues with Logic 8, but it loads and runs.

As has been said, you should have a backup that you can restore from before you installed MAvericks, while you wait for M-Audio to release drivers.

Mar 30, 2014 9:35 AM in response to pyandall

I bought it in 2010, after M-Audio had failed to update drivers for Snow Leopard after six months. It's worked with every OS since then, without drivers!

As long as its CoreAudio/CoreMIDI compliant, it should keep working with OS X. The FA-66 is FireWire only, so if you want future compatibility, you might check if there's another box with USB 3 or something.

Mar 30, 2014 2:34 PM in response to pyandall

QUICK FIX: so you can get back to work tonight!

It appears that you did not acquire a new Mac, only upgraded to the "free" Mavericks version of OS X, perhaps from Snow Leopard? If that is correct:

Partition your hard drive, or add an external hard drive and install Snow Leopard into it and "dual-boot" using the Startup Disk in System Preferences to determine whether your boot into Mavericks or Snow Leopard.

Mar 30, 2014 5:02 PM in response to pyandall

My suggestion for the future would be....

If one is using a Mac for important work projects, don't install a new OS or OS update on that machine until you've tested the new OS pretty thoroughly on a second test drive.

You can use an app like SuperDuper to make a bootable clone of your entire setup. Install the new OS on the clone, and see how it goes. If it goes well, you can use SuperDuper to copy the updated version of your setup from the clone back to your work hard drive.

This is more work that updating the OS directly on the work hard drive, but it's also much safer, and thus worry free.

Mar 31, 2014 4:24 AM in response to Kate_Mac

For someone who relies on the Mac for a living, I would have the Super Duper clone on one reliable disk stored in a fire safe, regular media backups to a disk also kept in the Fire Safe, and another disk with Time Machine permanently connected by USB to do the hourly backups includiny OS and system files.

I have them all and I am only protecting my lifetime hobby photo collection.

From lack of response to my first post we might have to assume that these precautions to backup OS were not made?

Apr 1, 2014 5:57 PM in response to pyandall

Hello! I have a terratec phase 26 USB audio interface and i have troubles in Maverick on MacBook Pro Retina.

I am profesional Musician and i'm using my Mac for live performing.On a windows laptop i had no issues but on my MBPr i have drop outs.

Do you guys think it's because the interface is an old one or is this the USB 3 combatibility in Mavericks?

I have read a lot of threats with same problems about USB 3 ports and USB 2 audio cards.

What do you think?

Feb 23, 2015 10:45 AM in response to pliktro

(by the way, how do you start a new thread in communities?)

MASSIVE AUDIO ISSUES WITH MAVERICKS

i have new mac mini (late 2012) with mavericks and im using an mbox 2 mini (protools 8.03, reason 7, iTunes, etc), sound deteriorates after several minutes of playback or recording, seriously annoying. didnt have this problem with my old macbook (mountain lion). Ive been troubleshooting for weeks, nothing online seems to help and alot of people have similar issues. Im about to try to reinstall a fresh version of mavericks/partition (but i dont know how to do that), and see if that works. any suggestions? the issue does happen without the use of the mbox 2 mini, but not as much, and i need to use the mbox for pro-tools. HELP!

Feb 28, 2015 1:16 PM in response to pyandall

I have found a solution for anyone having audio issues (mainly sound deterioration in all music related applications/software). After troubleshooting for a month (and getting mad), I found something. When I upgraded to Mavericks thats when the issue arose. I managed to downgrade to Mountain Lion (since my new Mac shipped with Mountain Lion) although Im not sure its necessary to downgrade once you do what I did to fix the noise issue. This is more for Pro-Tools users and those who use Digidesign interfaces (I have an Mbox 2 Mini). I have Pro-Tools 8.03, but I uploaded a newer driver update for Pro-Tools 9, and everything is fixed now. There are certainly compatibility issues with OSX and third party software and devices, and both Apple and Avid (Digidesign) don't want to deal with anyone that does'nt want to upgrade to the newest stuff, but for those of us that cannot afford to upgrade and need to work, this is a solution.

Check your drivers!

Feb 28, 2015 1:16 PM in response to benwiggy

I have found a solution for anyone having audio issues (mainly sound deterioration in all music related applications/software). After troubleshooting for a month (and getting mad), I found something. When I upgraded to Mavericks thats when the issue arose. I managed to downgrade to Mountain Lion (since my new Mac shipped with Mountain Lion) although Im not sure its necessary to downgrade once you do what I did to fix the noise issue. This is more for Pro-Tools users and those who use Digidesign interfaces (I have an Mbox 2 Mini). I have Pro-Tools 8.03, but I uploaded a newer driver update for Pro-Tools 9, and everything is fixed now. There are certainly compatibility issues with OSX and third party software and devices, and both Apple and Avid (Digidesign) don't want to deal with anyone that does'nt want to upgrade to the newest stuff, but for those of us that cannot afford to upgrade and need to work, this is a solution.

Check your drivers!

I am so disappointed in Mavericks. I am a music producer and after installing the new OS, I can not work. My midi audio interface by M Audio will not work with Mavericks. No driver updates, I also had to upgrade to Logic Pro. $199. So much for the free OS

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.