Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Time capsule hard disk status

Hello everyone,

I have a 3rd Time Capsule and use it to make backups of my macbook. There is a Mac application that checks the status of the disk? I'm afraid of losing my old backups. 😮

Thanks

MacBook (13-inch Aluminum Late 2008), OS X Mavericks (10.9.2)

Posted on Mar 30, 2014 10:30 AM

3 replies

Mar 30, 2014 10:54 AM in response to Community User

Hold down the option key on your Mac while you click on the Time Machine "clock" icon in the menu bar at the top of the screen.

Click Verify Backups

As you already know, disk failures may occur without warning, as do corrupted backups. By the time that you find out, it is too late.

If you are worried about losing your old backups, I assume that you are already "archiving" the contents of your Time Capsule to another hard drive connected to the USB port on the Time Capsule on a regular basis, correct?

Mar 30, 2014 11:56 AM in response to Bob Timmons

Verify Backups doesn't returns no abnormality.

My Time Capsule, for now, and despite his age, seems to have no problems, but it is always better to be prepared for the eventuality. I'm searching for a software that controls clauster's disk and, eventually, replace it.

Mar 30, 2014 12:10 PM in response to Community User

Verify Backups doesn't returns no abnormality.

That is always a good sign.

There is no software that will prevent a disk error before it occurs. The software will tell you that the disk is fine....right up until the time that it fails. At that time, it is too late.

If you care about the satety of your backups, you will be "archiving" them maybe once a week.

Good luck.

Time capsule hard disk status

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.