Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

MacBook Pro won't recognize 1TB external drive

Hey team,

My mid-2010 MacBook Pro won't recognize my WD My Passport 1TB drive. I was copying files from the drive to my computer when my computer went to sleep (didn't run out of power, just went to standby mode). Turned computer back on and now it won't recognize the drive.

It is a USB 3.0 cord (computer is only USB 2.0 and the cord works with other drives) and when plugged in, the light turns on and the disk spins but isn't recognized my this or other computers (also not in Disk Utility).

Tried a handful of disk recovery programs but nothing wants to 'see' the disk plugged in.

Thanks for any and all suggestions.

MacBook Pro, OS X Mavericks (10.9.2)

Posted on Mar 30, 2014 1:23 PM

11 replies

Mar 30, 2014 1:27 PM in response to theReKleiner

Please follow these steps:-

Drive Preparation

1. Open Disk Utility in your Utilities folder.

2. After DU loads select your hard drive (this is the entry with the mfgr.'s ID and size) from the left side list. Click on the Partition tab in the DU main window.

3. Under the Volume Scheme heading set the number of partitions from the drop down menu to one. Set the format type to Mac OS Extended (Journaled.) Click on the Options button, set the partition scheme to GUID then click on the OK button. Click on the Partition button and wait until the process has completed.

4. Select the volume you just created (this is the sub-entry under the drive entry) from the left side list. Click on the Erase tab in the DU main window.

5. Set the format type to Mac OS Extended (Journaled.) Click on the Security button, check the button for Zero Data and click on OK to return to the Erase window.

6. Click on the Erase button. The format process can take up to several hours depending upon the drive size.

Steps 4-6 are optional but should be used on a drive that has never been formatted before, if the format type is not Mac OS Extended, if the partition scheme has been changed, or if a different operating system (not OS X) has been installed on the drive.

HOW TO FORMAT EXTERNAL DISK FOR MacBook Air

DU means DISK UTILITY 🙂

Mar 30, 2014 7:54 PM in response to theReKleiner

yes yes yes, I warn people about WD drives on this link:

Your dead external hard drive is likely fine! Great hope for your 'faulty' external HD

theReKleiner wrote:

What now?

Only option is to buy the SAME exact HD and swap controller boards, or pay someone a LOT more $$$ to do the same thing.

its not soldered there, its just a controller/ SATA "one piece"

They do that to save 50 cents in mfg. costs. 😟

I mention your "issue" in that link. Which is why you do NOT buy WD ext. HD.

they make the controller board and SATA card one piece.

CURRENT MFG. THAT HAVE controller board and SATA cards as one piece are : WD USB drives, and Toshiba USB Canvio

However Toshiba didnt USED to do that, but they started doing it at the end of 2013.

avoid those 2.

To avoid that nonsense, buy Hitachi drives in USB.

Or, the best option:

Save money and invest in a bare hard drive backup and redundancy plan

Its cheaper

less fuss

more reiable, removes the nasty failure point of SATA card interfaces.

takes up lot less space.

Bare hard drives and docks. The most reliable and cheapest method of hard drive data storage, archives, and redundancies

The best method for your data archives and redundancies, which is also the least expensive, the most reliable, and the most compact option is the purchase of naked hard drives and at least one USB 3.0 HD dock ($40 roughly).

While regarding Time Machine and your Macbook or desktop, your primary backup is best saved to a conventional USB (or Firewire / thunderbolt) hard drive inside an enclosure, the most important part of your data protection begins after your 1st / primary Time Machine / backup; and these are your secondary (most important) data storage devices, archives and their redundancies.

However bare hard drives and docks (below) also work perfectly as a Time Machine backup, this is for home use, since the docking station is certainly not very portable as a notebook Time Machine backup device should be; nor should bare HD be packed around with a notebook, rather remain at home or office.

Six terabytes of 2.5" HD pictured below in a very compact space.

Bare hard drives and docks have the lowest cost, the highest reliability, and take up the smallest storage space

User uploaded file

Drawbacks:

1. Care and knowledge in general handling of naked hard drives (how not to shock a bare HD, and how to hold them properly). Not a genuine drawback.

Advantages:

1. By far the least expensive method of mass HD storage on a personal basis. Highest quality naked HD can be purchased in bulk very cheap.

2. Eliminates the horrible failure point of SATA bridges and interfaces between external drives and the computer.

3. Per square foot you can store more terabytes of data this way than any other.

4. Fast, easy, no fuss and most simplex method of data storage on hard drives.

Mar 30, 2014 8:26 PM in response to PlotinusVeritas

Thank you!

I luckily (and, apparently, foolishly) own a second similar drive so I will try switching the SATA bridge/controller unit and see if I can recover my files.

I'll let you know if it works; just got to go purchase a tiny torx screwdriver.

Off topic but very relevant:

Where is the best place to buy bare hard drives and a dock? (I live in Canada)

Mar 30, 2014 8:34 PM in response to theReKleiner

theReKleiner wrote:

Off topic but very relevant:

Where is the best place to buy bare hard drives and a dock? (I live in Canada)

ebay for both

Amazon for certainly the dock

heres the dock:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Uspeed-USB-3-0-eSATA-to-2-5-or-3-5in-SATA-HDD-SSD-Dockin g-Dock-Station-/330892855571?pt=US_Drive_Enclosures_Docks&hash=item4d0ac04913

$40

also the most reliable one<

heres the best bare HD for the cost:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/261296114888?ssPageName=STRK:MEWNX:IT&_trksid=p3984.m143 9.l2649

MQ01ABD100

$67, high quality 1TB, exact same as used by Apple Inc.

MQ01ABD100

same HD you can get on amazon as well.

MacBook Pro won't recognize 1TB external drive

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.