Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Preferences and User deletion

Tried to delete a user in preferences 8 hours ago and still cannot close preference because it says "User & group preferences is removing a user account & saving the home directory to a disk image". Do I need to insert a disk?

iMac (24-inch Mid 2007), OS X Mavericks (10.9.2)

Posted on Mar 30, 2014 2:10 PM

5 replies

Mar 30, 2014 6:24 PM in response to rack0 tack0

Checking finder, I see the file size has not changed.

I created the user "test" when Apple tech support had me do so while trying to resolve a problem with a brand new iPad refusing to back up to my computer. We resolved that problem last week so I wanted to delete "test".

I am not sure I understand your question about deleting the user but saving the home folder. I had 2 users on this computer, myself and one other person plus guest. I am the administrator. The test user was only created recently. I opened preferences earlier, highlighted test and clicked the minus sign.

So do you think I should force quit preferences?

Apr 1, 2014 4:20 PM in response to rack0 tack0

So I forced quit then shut down the Mac. Next day restarted and "test" user was still there. So I went into finder and deleted the user "test" files after changing "test" from an administrator to a standard user in preferences. Then going back to preferences the user "test" was deleted in seconds. Thanks for your help rack0 tack0!

Preferences and User deletion

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.