Want to highlight a helpful answer? Upvote!

Did someone help you, or did an answer or User Tip resolve your issue? Upvote by selecting the upvote arrow. Your feedback helps others! Learn more about when to upvote >

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

where does restored data from time capsule get placed

Where does restored data from time capsule get placed?

For instance, is the data seamlessly placed where it was missing or corrupted, or does it enter a program under some separate "heading" in the program 1) if letter is restored to Mail, 2) if entire mailbox restored to Mail, 3) if single letter restored to Documents, 4) if several photos to iPhoto, 5) if one folder restored to desktop.

Macbook Pro, Mac OS X (10.6.5)

Posted on Mar 30, 2014 5:34 PM

3 replies

Mar 30, 2014 6:07 PM in response to Bob Timmons

WAs just going to opt out since I found a Pondini discussion TIME MACHINE FAQs from 2010 that answered all my questions.

In his discussion (albeit not with most recent OS for iPhoto) he indicates that you can chose single photos. I haven't tried since I was primarily researching a mail problem. Did I misunderstand.

Your reply does explain why I have an additional iPhoto library in Pictures, however. Since someone presumably "helped" me with that probable restoration at some past date, I now have to figure out (with 30,000 photos) what may be in it that I feared I had lost before I can delete it ; - )

Thanks much for your reply.

Mar 30, 2014 6:18 PM in response to abricot

If you are lucky enough to be using an older version of iPhoto and an older version of the Mac operating system, you might be able to pick out individual photos from a Time Machine backup.

But, this would assume that you have not done any updates for maybe 3 years or so. Few of us meet that requirement.

Pondini has all the details.

Unfortunately, iPhoto is a real mess for most of us if you are faced with trying to go back and pick up just a few images. Apple calls this an "upgrade".

where does restored data from time capsule get placed

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.