Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

I dropped my ipod from 2 feet off the ground and it shattered. Is it defective?

Ok, there have been several problems with my ipod. In order:

1) It's always been a little slower than my old one of the same generation.

2) It slipped out of my hand onto my friend's driveway and cracked. (yeah I accept blame for that one)

3) It slipped off my leg as I was sitting on a very small chair and onto the linoleum floor about 1.5-2 feet off the ground with a brand new rubber case on it, and shattered more than it did when I dropped it onto the driveway, also creating some grey spots on it along with the cracks.

4) I had a new, even better, case on it when somebody bumped me and I dropped it from about 4 feet or less off the ground, and it landed first on my toe (which hurt really badly), then face down on the floor. I picked it up, and the screen was white with only a shadow of my wallpaper at all visible on one side of it.

I would just go to the nearest apple store and try to swap it out since I got it less than a year ago, and I'm pretty sure it's defective, but unfortunately, I bought it from an individual, and I have no clue when he bought it originally. Does anybody know what I can do?

Thanks.

iPod touch, got it from an individual

Posted on Mar 30, 2014 9:23 PM

3 replies

Mar 30, 2014 9:45 PM in response to speckled dino

Not defective, just a bad break! Unfortunately, drops, slips, bumps-- things ending in cracked screen is not covered by the warranty. You can purchase an out of warranty refurbished iPod but Apple will not give you a new one free. The case you used, have you tried something like a Griffin Survivor? Not saying it will be any better, but I've beaten the snot out of mine and so far so good. Good luck, Cheers.

Mar 30, 2014 10:22 PM in response to speckled dino

Hey Speckled dino, the Griffin Survivor case is that type of case, hard shell with rubber bumpers touching the iPod and bumpers on the outside that stand proud of the case, improves shock protection and puts a little air space between the glass and the ground. Guess I've been lucky, wish I had something more, but I don't, other then try to be more careful. Even with a case the right wrong fall will take out the screen, landing face down seems to do it nearly every time, glass is still glass, very strong on it's edge but the face breaks easily. Good luck with the new iPod. Cheers.

I dropped my ipod from 2 feet off the ground and it shattered. Is it defective?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.