Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

How can I publish the "levels" effect to final cut pro x?

Hello,

I'm trying to publish all of the color correction plugins from motion into final cut pro x, the "levels" effect in particular. I have read the instructions in the manual and published all the parameters and then saved it to send it over to final cut pro x but the problem that I'm having is when I open it up in final cut pro x all the parameters are there except for the histogram and its controls, what am I doing wrong and how can I fix it? Thanks.

Motion 5, OS X Mavericks (10.9.2)

Posted on Mar 30, 2014 10:52 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Mar 31, 2014 1:38 AM

The short answer is you can't publish the levels graphic UI (you can, but it doesn't work in FCPX - all you get is the collection of the individual slider controls.)

You can create a shape with a gradient fill. Set a middle color tab and a second opacity tab. You can use Link parameter behaviors from the color/opacity tabs to the the filter > Levels parameter controls. Use the color tabs for Black In, Gamma and White In. Use the Opacity tabs for Black Out and White Out.

You can publish the shape's gradient.

The problem is, to publish this UI, you're publishing an actual gradient and people will be able to make alterations to the gradient (it won't change how it operates the levels controls.) The other problem with it is that it is possible for users to accidentally pull off or add new tabs which will immediately break the effect (and immediate "undo" should repair it though). Then, figuring out how to manipulate the Gamma control is going to be a trick (I haven't figured out yet.) The values go from 5 (all the way left) to 0 (all the way right - with 1 the 50% mark) for the Gamma control itself, but the UI controller (the middle tab on the gradient) moves the control in the opposite direction and the values are logarithmic in scale. You can use the mid-tab control on the gradient linked to the gamma parameter value, but it won't behave the same way as you would expect a genuine levels control to behave (left to right goes from black to white when the expectation would be the opposite.)

A gradient with links into the filter is about the only way to go if you want it give it a shot.

4 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Mar 31, 2014 1:38 AM in response to jonespnice

The short answer is you can't publish the levels graphic UI (you can, but it doesn't work in FCPX - all you get is the collection of the individual slider controls.)

You can create a shape with a gradient fill. Set a middle color tab and a second opacity tab. You can use Link parameter behaviors from the color/opacity tabs to the the filter > Levels parameter controls. Use the color tabs for Black In, Gamma and White In. Use the Opacity tabs for Black Out and White Out.

You can publish the shape's gradient.

The problem is, to publish this UI, you're publishing an actual gradient and people will be able to make alterations to the gradient (it won't change how it operates the levels controls.) The other problem with it is that it is possible for users to accidentally pull off or add new tabs which will immediately break the effect (and immediate "undo" should repair it though). Then, figuring out how to manipulate the Gamma control is going to be a trick (I haven't figured out yet.) The values go from 5 (all the way left) to 0 (all the way right - with 1 the 50% mark) for the Gamma control itself, but the UI controller (the middle tab on the gradient) moves the control in the opposite direction and the values are logarithmic in scale. You can use the mid-tab control on the gradient linked to the gamma parameter value, but it won't behave the same way as you would expect a genuine levels control to behave (left to right goes from black to white when the expectation would be the opposite.)

A gradient with links into the filter is about the only way to go if you want it give it a shot.

Mar 31, 2014 10:02 AM in response to fox_m

Thanks for the information it is very much appreciated.

That sounds complicated, I'm very much a novice when it comes to this. I really don't understand why FCPX doesn't already have these effects from motion already included. I really don't mind doing some color grading in motion but motion doesn't have any scopes, is there a way to use scopes in motion?

Apr 1, 2014 5:16 PM in response to jonespnice

According to the Motion docs the Histogram from the Levels filter is not supported when sent to FCP:

http://help.apple.com/motion/mac/5.1/#motn141bd07d

In general, Motion lets you publish most parameters in the application. However, some publishable parameters are not supported in Final Cut Pro. The following items have components that are not accessible after a template is added to a Final Cut Pro project:

• Parameters related to text path onscreen controls
  • Mask or shape control points
  • Parameters with deselected activation checkboxes
  • The Histogram in the Levels color correction filter

Is there a reason you're trying to color grade in Motion? In my opinion, FCPX has the superior tools in that regard.

Apr 2, 2014 12:09 AM in response to schmackhaft

Thanks for the info about the Histogram.

To be honest I perfer color grading in FCPX but motion has some effects that seem to be very useful, like "color balance" for example. In FCPX when you make color adjustments to one color on the color board you are affecting each channel (RGB) at the same time in varing amounts, but with color balance you can affect each color channel separately which in some cases can speed up the process of balancing your colors. You can achieve the same results with FCPX color board but it takes a little more effect.

How can I publish the "levels" effect to final cut pro x?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.