Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Apple TV - Netflix - No Surround Sound

Hi All, first post!

I recently purchased Apple TV 3, it plugged into my Yamaha YSP 2200 via HDMI, soundbar then has HDMI out to my Toshiba LCD TV.

The issue I'm having is that Netflix doesn't play 5.1 through Apple TV. If I use Netflix on my Virgin Tivo box all is fine and I get surround sound. My soundbar has an indicator light that shows if surround is detected and glows either blue or orange. However through Apple TV no light appears and the sound is completeley different.

I have tried adjusting the settings for Dolby Digital, it is set to 'On' rather than 'Auto'. I have also tried messing with the audi options in netflix but it doeasn't show any options other than 'English'

The odd thing is.....I'm pretty sure it was playing in surround when I first got it, however I have since updated Apple TV and it seems to have stopped working after this update.

Just wondered if there is a known recent issue for not being able to get surround working with Netflix through Apple TV?

Thanks

Andy.

Apple TV

Posted on Mar 31, 2014 12:47 AM

3 replies

Apr 21, 2014 10:02 AM in response to andrew165

I received this message from Netflix support:

Yeah you know what, it's actually a known issue if you could believe it. All the users of the Apple TV 3rd gen are experiencing the same issue of not being able to pick up that 5.1 sound. So i's something that our engineers are working on getting back up and running, they and Apple are working to figure out why it's been malfunctioning. So I would ask that you watch in regular stereo audio and before you know it, the 5.1 surround will be back and useable for you 🙂

50 seconds agoNetflix Benjamin

8 seconds agoNetflix Benjamin

Apple TV - Netflix - No Surround Sound

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.