Want to highlight a helpful answer? Upvote!

Did someone help you, or did an answer or User Tip resolve your issue? Upvote by selecting the upvote arrow. Your feedback helps others! Learn more about when to upvote >

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Safari Freeze on OSX Mavericks

I reset safari every once in a while, but since my update to Mavericks last October, I noticed Safari freezing(not responding) the spinning ball is there, so what I do is force close Safari. Is this a bug in Safari or am I just the one experiencing this?

Thanks!

MacBook Pro with Retina display, OS X Mavericks (10.9.2)

Posted on Mar 31, 2014 1:09 AM

11 replies

Mar 31, 2014 1:14 AM in response to Dennis Brian

Hi ...

Well, it's not a bug or my Safari on Mavericks would most likely have issues also. (Mavericks v10.9.2),

Dennis.... since you upgraded to Mavericks, it may be an incompatible Safari extension or plugin. It may be have been compatible with the previous OS X but not Mavericks.

From the Safari menu bar click Safari > Preferences then select the Extensions tab. Turn that OFF, quit and relaunch Safari to test. If that helped, turn one extension on then quit and relaunch Safari to test until you find the incompatible extension then click uninstall.

If it's not an extensions issue, try troubleshooting third party plug-ins.

Back to Safari > Preferences. This time select the Security tab. Deselect: Allow plug-ins. Quit and relaunch Safari to test.

If that made a difference, instructions for troubleshooting plugins here.

If it's not an extension or plugin causing Safari to freeze, from the Safari menu bar click Safari > Reset Safari

Clear History, Remove All Website Data, clear Downloads then quit and relaunch Safari to test.

Mar 31, 2014 2:31 PM in response to Dennis Brian

Launch the Console application in any of the following ways:

☞ Enter the first few letters of its name into a Spotlight search. Select it in the results (it should be at the top.)

☞ In the Finder, select Go Utilities from the menu bar, or press the key combination shift-command-U. The application is in the folder that opens.

☞ Open LaunchPad. Click Utilities, then Console in the icon grid.

Make sure the title of the Console window is All Messages. If it isn't, select All Messages from the SYSTEM LOG QUERIES menu on the left. If you don't see that menu, select

View Show Log List

from the menu bar.

Click the Clear Display icon in the toolbar. Then try the action that you're having trouble with again. Select any messages that appear in the Console window. Copy them to the Clipboard by pressing the key combination command-C. Paste into a reply to this message (command-V).

When posting a log extract, be selective. In most cases, a few dozen lines are more than enough.

Please do not indiscriminately dump thousands of lines from the log into this discussion.

Important: Some private information, such as your name, may appear in the log. Anonymize before posting.

Mar 31, 2014 3:17 PM in response to Dennis Brian

I have been experiencing this same problem, in fact it occurs every single time I reset Safari. I'll reset it, I get the spinning pinwheel or beachball of death, I force close Safari, when I reopen Safari it brings up all the windows I had open prior to resetting and then I can reset without the error. That's what happens every time. I deleted my safari .plist file as suggested in this thread "https://discussions.apple.com/thread/5990452" but it only helps once and then occurs again.

Aug 7, 2014 4:57 AM in response to Dennis Brian

I've just upgraded 3 imacs from 10.6.8 to 10.9.4. all machines experience safari freezing

activity monitor shows dynamic values for ram/disk use for safari. same occurs on a new user account, no plugins/extensions enabled. no trace left in logs

It looks like some other software conflict but I have not yet pinned it down

There's no beachball etc, menu bars open up but no other clicks are acknowledged in safari.

I've managed to get safari to download google chrome, which is working fine

volume is ok, permissions have been repaired.

Were a repair shop performing upgrades all the time, but there must be something about these 3 machines history of installed software (all from the same client)

From my experience, Chrome has better compatibility and is quicker with a wider range of sites than safari

Feb 6, 2015 4:51 PM in response to Carolyn Samit

Hi Carolyn

I'm hoping you can help me.

My Safari on OS10.10.1 simply freezes. It never opens.

But, somehow it is the default browser (not that I set it to be) for any email that is set to open a browser.

I've read that uninstalling Safari is problematic.

I have no extensions. I had one and I deleted it.

Any suggestions for a solution?

Even if I can disassociate emails from Safari?

Thanks

Safari Freeze on OSX Mavericks

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.