Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Why is Beach Ball Showing Up So Much?

I use Mavericks 10.9.2. Just lately whenever I try to drag a file into a folder, or almost anything I do, I keep getting the spinning beach ball. The only way I know how to get out of the spinning beach ball mode is to shut off the Mac at the Mac Pro on/off switch. What's going on?😕

Posted on Mar 31, 2014 2:52 AM

19 replies

Mar 31, 2014 3:06 AM in response to Angel Llorente

Try to avoid using the power switch to force the computer to shut down. That can cause file corruption & just make things worse. Instead, first try force quitting any apps that hang: hold down the option & command keys & press the escape key. Any apps that are not responding will show up in red & you can select & force quit them from there.

You should run Disk Utility & use the "Verify Disk" (not [permissions) check on your startup drive. If that shows any problems, follow the instructions to restart from the recovery partition & run Disk Utility's "Repair Disk" from there.

Also make sure you have plenty of free space on your startup drive, ideally at least 10-15% of its total capacity.

Mar 31, 2014 5:48 AM in response to Angel Llorente

Hmmm. When I do the same thing with my startup drive I get this in the details window:

User uploaded file

Note that in mine it says "performing live verification," lists more checks, & ends with the green 'OK' message. I'm not sure why your details are different or there is no green 'OK' message at the end.

Were you started up normally from this drive? Did you see a warning message that your computer may be slow or non-responsive while the verification is being done?

Mar 31, 2014 7:53 AM in response to Angel Llorente

At this point I can only suggest two things:

1. Download & run Etrecheck & post the results. You may have some third party item installed that is interfering with normal operation. Etrecheck is designed to help identify such things.

2. Boot into recovery mode (hold down command + R on restart) & reinstall the OS. Some components of the OS may have become damaged (always a possibility if the system has frequently been forced to shut down abnormally), so reinstalling it may be the easiest & simplest way to fix that.

Since #2 is more time consuming, I suggest trying #1 first. If we don't see anything suspicious from that, try #2.

Why is Beach Ball Showing Up So Much?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.