Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Tons of errors with sync and restore

Let me state first, that this iPod Classic i brand new, and has latest software installed. So does my Mac Mini (also brand new). All latest software is installed.

I have a large library, therefore i chose a Classic. From the very first sync, errors startet happening.

1. First Error: After setting up the iPod, asking to sync entire library, the iPod failed after 2 hours or so.
    1. After it failed, i unplugged and saw, that it had transfered 500 songs successfully, and played them as it should.
    2. I plugged it in after 10 minutes of play, to sync again.
    3. iTunes warns, that it has found an iPod that needs to be restored.... WHY? It was working fine!
    4. iPod cannot Restore, it is in use?!?
  2. I finally get it restored, and start over with the sync. I go through step 1 again.
  3. iPod will not restore, at all. Not untill i run a repair from Disc Utility.
  4. After 4 attempts, i finally get no errors on the disc in Disc Utility. I had to completely format the disc, and reinstall the iPod.
  5. It is syncing now! 30 tracks at the time, then this error happens, "iTunes could not copy %songname%, archive does not exist". My iTunes is in Danish, so i am unsure of the English wording of that error.
  6. I try syncing again, works fine for 30 tracks, then same error. This has been going on for the last 20 attempts of syncing.

Anyone have any idea, of what is going on? I am not far from taking it back to the store and requesting af replacement device, or money back for that matter.

iPod classic

Posted on Mar 31, 2014 4:15 AM

1 reply

Apr 1, 2014 4:49 AM in response to Coalhouse

I would do the following. Shut down (power off) the Mac mini. Disconnect all USB devices (you can leave standard USB keyboard/mouse connected if used). Start up the Mac mini.

Since the iPod may have some data corruption issues, put it into Disk Mode

http://support.apple.com/kb/ht1363

On the Mac mini, run iTunes, and connect the iPod (in Disk Mode) by itself to a direct USB port on the Mac mini. iTunes should prompt you to do a Restore. Do the Restore. During the Restore process, elect NOT to sync any songs to the iPod.

In iTunes, if the sidebar (along left side of window) is hidden, from the menu bar, under View, select Show Sidebar. The iPod should appear in the sidebar, under DEVICES, after the Restore. Select it there. To the right, the iPod's Summary screen is shown. Toward the top, there is a bar of buttons starting with Summary. Click on Music next to Summary. This Music screen is where you tell iTunes how to sync songs to the iPod.

Check the box for Sync Music. This is the switch to enable automatic syncing. Choose the option to sync Entire music library. Click Apply. Hopefully it goes through the sync process properly this time.

Tons of errors with sync and restore

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.