Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Macbook pro + external display sleeps when lid closed and 'clicking' noise

Hi all, new mid-2012 macbook pro non-retina user, I have an PC external display with Microsoft USB wired keyboard and mouse pair (the keyboard and mouse are wireless but connected via a USB desktop receiver) but even when all connected up, shutting the mac lid always turns off external display too and no amount of pressing keys or mouse clicking wakes up the display again. External display only wakes up when I open the lid again. There's also a clicking noise from the mac every time I close the lid with external display connected. Any ideas? I've tried a number of things, wondering possibly if my cheapo (non-Apple) VGA external display to Minidisplayport adaptor is the culprit? Also, everytime I connect the display I have to go to display settings to get it to recognise the external display. I haven't installed any software for the USB mouse and keyboard , the macbook recognises it ok.

Posted on Mar 31, 2014 4:38 AM

2 replies

Apr 2, 2014 8:36 AM in response to Itsfixed

Hi Itsfixed,

It sounds like you are having issues running your MacBook Pro in closed clamshell mode (computer closed but awake, connected to an external display). If possible, you may want to see if it behaves as expected when connected to a wired USB keyboard and mouse as outlined in the first section of the article; wireless USB (non-Bluetooth) keyboards may not be recognized by the system the same way for the purposes of running with the display closed.

Regards,

- Brenden

Apr 3, 2014 9:34 AM in response to brenden dv

I have the same issue as the OP. New 2013 macbook pro retina, Windows 7 in bootcamp with an external display attached (via DisplayPort). Have wired keyboard and wired mouse but when shutting the lid, the external display goes and remains dark and enters power saving mode while the macbook goes to sleep.

So the fallback solution that currently works for me is setting 'Power Options > System Settings > When I close the lid...' to 'Do Nothing'

Carl

Macbook pro + external display sleeps when lid closed and 'clicking' noise

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.