Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Can my iMac upgrade if I by more ram and storage

My specs

-The iMac G5/1.8 17-Inch (ALS) features a 1.8 GHz PowerPC 970 (G5) processor with an optimized -AltiVec "Velocity Engine" vector processing unit and a 512k on-chip level 2 cache,

-1GB of 400 MHz PC3200 DDR SDRAM,

-250 GB (7200 RPM) Serial ATA hard drive

-Vertically-mounted slot-loading 8X DVD-ROM/CD-RW "Combo" drive

-ATI Radeon 9600 graphics with 128 MB of DDR SDRAM (AGP 8X)

-Built-in stereo speakers underneath the 17" TFT Active Matrix LCD (1440x900) display

I just want to know what can I upgrade to and if so what do I need to by to get a upgrade I'm 10.4.11

iMac, Mac OS X (10.4.11)

Posted on Mar 31, 2014 6:30 AM

5 replies

Mar 31, 2014 6:46 AM in response to Sylvarcr

This system may upgrade to Leopard (10.5), assuming you have sufficient free disk space. The following operating system, Snow Leopard (10.6), requires an Intel processor in place of the PowerPC processor your unit has - I'm afraid that's not an upgrade your system can have installed.

Leopard is no longer sold by Apple, and it is unlikely you'll find any copies even at a third-party retailer these days - but it may be possible to source a second-hand copy online somewhere else.

Before doing so, ensure you have a complete backup of your system, and consider what you want to get out of the upgrade. If your goal is to be able to sync with a new iPhone/iPad via iTunes, I'm afraid Leopard won't be a sufficient step forward to accomplish that.

Mar 31, 2014 9:14 AM in response to Sylvarcr

I purchased about 6 of those 2 or 3 years used for $50 each from a foreign company closing its local office. I kept 1 and gave the others away.

Upgrade to 10.5.8 (if you can acquire it economically; otherwise just stay at Tiger) and know that you are living on borrowed time!

Some of them had the bad capacitor problem endemic to that model, which had an Apple program for a free fix. Mine died twice afterwards (HD and then power supply). I paid to have a new HD installed, but I decided it was time to move on when the power supply died in 2011.

Can my iMac upgrade if I by more ram and storage

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.