Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

How to disable remote GUI login window for a user

Hello everyone,

I cannot seem to find how I can disable the graphical login for some users on 10.5 Server on an Xserve.

They can all configure VNC and login to their desktop. I do not want to allow that for some users.

I want them to have access to the default FTP-server, but no access to the graphical desktop.

I have tried to alter the user's shell into /usr/bin/false or /sbin/nologin, but then FTP doesn't work either : invalid shell or username.

Does someone know where I can find that setting?

This a standalone (no LDAP) production server in a colocation-setting, so I have no physical access. Only via ARD where I can run WGM.

Thanks for any ideas!

- -

Regards,

Marc

Xserve, Mac OS X (10.5.8)

Posted on Mar 31, 2014 4:42 AM

3 replies

Mar 31, 2014 11:52 PM in response to BDAqua

Maybe next time! After struggeling whole day yesterday I finally found it in Server Admin instead of Workgroup Manager. At the end of the day I thought, if I cannot find it on the internet and I cannot find it in the user-settings, then either nobody has ever asked for it to switch it off or it must be simple somehow. I then thought that Apple might have thought of it as an object which needs its own allowances/restrictions and then I found it in ServerAdmin (see image)

User uploaded file

When a user without access to the Login Window wants to login, the login window shakes, as if the user typed a wrong username or password.

How to disable remote GUI login window for a user

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.