Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Time Capsule backup after a hard reset

I had to hard reset and re-configure my time capsule yesterday.

The problem is that my iMac (time machine), does not recognise the old backup files to the time capsule disk (allthough they are there). It sees the TC disk as a new disk (not the same with before, I mean). The old backups are there, but time machine "wants" to make a new backup and it not "connects" to the old ones. Of course I don't see the old (previous) backups when I'm entering time machine, but the files are still there to it's disk.

Any help?

iPhone 4, iOS 5

Posted on Mar 31, 2014 5:13 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Mar 31, 2014 12:00 PM

Read B6 here.

http://pondini.org/TM/Troubleshooting.html

I would attempt to do the backup even if your TM is saying it will create a new backup .. because of the newly renamed TC, but right at the start point it will rediscover the old backup and do another incremental. It just never tells you this is what it is going to do.

That is unless you change the computer name or changed the sparsebundle name.. which I presume you did NOT.

Of course if you are using Mavericks,, it seems to do things in its own way which I am finding frustrating to the point of wishing I never upgraded at least one computer..

4 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Mar 31, 2014 12:00 PM in response to Mac the Duck

Read B6 here.

http://pondini.org/TM/Troubleshooting.html

I would attempt to do the backup even if your TM is saying it will create a new backup .. because of the newly renamed TC, but right at the start point it will rediscover the old backup and do another incremental. It just never tells you this is what it is going to do.

That is unless you change the computer name or changed the sparsebundle name.. which I presume you did NOT.

Of course if you are using Mavericks,, it seems to do things in its own way which I am finding frustrating to the point of wishing I never upgraded at least one computer..

Time Capsule backup after a hard reset

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.