Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Airport Express - 7.6.4 - blinking amber - online but can't extend network?

I have an Airport Express configured to extend the wireless network of an Airport Extreme.

Everything has worked fine until a couple of weeks ago.

Now, my Airport Express keeps flashing amber. Opening up Airport Utility displays a warning that the AE could not extend the selected wireless network.

Funny thing is, I still have internet connectivity on a mac pro that does not have a separate wireless connection.

I thought it was a version disparity between the express and the extreme (the extreme was on 7.6.3). I updated the extreme and the problem went away for about 24 hours.

Then, last night, I had the same problem. The Airport Express started blinking amber again. I actually lost connection until I unplugged the express and plugged it back in.

I may try resetting it tonight.

The network / network password / security are all the same. I haven't changed any of the settings on either box outside of updating them to 7.6.4.

Any other ideas?

Thanks!

MBP, MP, Mac OS X (10.4.10)

Posted on Mar 31, 2014 6:21 AM

2 replies

Mar 31, 2014 1:19 PM in response to macelangelo

Given that you changed nothing, the cause could be wireless interference due to the proliferation of wireless devices. It's a growing problem in anywhere but isolated areas far from competing wireless networks and devices attempting to share the same finite wireless spectrum.

Reset your Express, but this time relocate it closer to the Extreme so that it can receive a stronger signal. Determine if that results in a more reliable network installation. "Wirelessly extended" networks are always a study in compromises.

Funny thing is, I still have internet connectivity on a mac pro that does not have a separate wireless connection.

I'm not sure what you mean by that. If the Express can't connect to the Extreme's wireless network, the problem will be limited to it and any devices attempting to communicate with it. Your Mac Pro may be communicating directly with the Extreme, and due to its large enclosure it has a better antenna than can be installed in an Express's tiny case. If it's connected with Ethernet, that eliminates any concern about wireless communications problems.

Airport Express - 7.6.4 - blinking amber - online but can't extend network?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.