Apple Event: May 7th at 7 am PT

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

iPad connected to wifi, but no wifi icon and no internet access?

My 3rd gen iPad running ios 7.1 is acting crazy. Under my wifi settings, the wireless network to which I usually connect is "check-marked" like normal under the wifi on/off switch, BUT the wireless bar icon in the upper left of my screen is NOT there. Safari is telling me that my iPad is not connected to the Internet.

I've tried turning off/on wifi, turning airplane mode on/off, hard reset of my ipad, and resetting network connections, but nothing is working.

Is there anyone else having this problem? Please help.

Thanks!

iPad (3rd gen) Wi-Fi, iOS 7.1

Posted on Mar 31, 2014 7:37 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Aug 7, 2017 10:37 AM

If you have a VPN and this happens to you make sure you uninstall it and then it'll hopefully come back - in my case it was TunnelBear, I uninstalled and it instantly went back to normal. You can always reinstall it afterwards and if it happens again just repeat the process

7 replies

Dec 10, 2017 10:07 AM in response to worshippastorguy

I had no internet but I had network connection on my wife’s iPad but all other devices were fine. I tried all the usual things - soft and hard restart, resetting network settings etc. I was about to reset to factory and restore but i couldn't get the code that was sent to her account. Thats when I checked her iPhone - no internet there either!

I contacted our provider and was told there was wireless interference. I changed modem settings (bandwidth and channel) as instructed and now everything works.

I was certain I had a hardware issue, but it was the modem all along!

If you have network but no internet, contact the provider, or go to another trusted network (maybe your mom’s place?) and see if you get a connection before you do a full restore!

Mar 31, 2014 7:59 AM in response to worshippastorguy

Does this happen with any and all wifi networks or just your home network?

Not sure if this was on the list of things you tried but try Forgetting your network using the Settings app.

Settings > Wi-Fi > Select Your Wi-Fi Network > Tap on Forget This Network

Then let the iPad attempt to reconnect to your network.

Here's a link to an Apple support page for trouble shooting Wi-Fi. If you've tried all these things, I would go through the list again.

http://support.apple.com/kb/TS1398

If you still can't connect perhaps you should have a technician examine your iPad. Make an appointment at an Apple Store to have your device examined by a technician. Or contact Apple Support.

Oct 3, 2016 1:08 PM in response to worshippastorguy

I'm having a similar problem in a strange context. Recently I updated our router to a BT Smart Hub. It worked welll except for one thing, that the MyTifi app, which lets one control a networked Samsung TV from an iPad, did not connect reliably to the TV. The router manual attributes this to the fact that the router sets up two networks, one on the 2.4GHz band and one for 5GHz, meaning that you may end up with the iPad and the TV set on different networks, in which situation My Tifi will not work. What BT suggest is that configure the router so that the two networks have different IDs, as this lets you control which network each device connects to, and should get round this problem. However, when I do this I get this problem, that the wifi settings panel indicates a connection but there is no icon or internet access. I've tried various fixes but the only thing that renders the iPad usable again is to reverse the process so that the two networks appear as one. Strange! Well, it's no big deal: My Tifi is very nice but one can still use ye olde infra-red remote for control!

iPad connected to wifi, but no wifi icon and no internet access?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.