Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

How does one downgrade from iOS 7.1 to iOS 7.0.6?

How can one downgrade from 7.1 to 7.0.6 without shsh blobs? Apple seems to be the only software/handware vendor to make this difficult, if not impossible. I can downgrade my hard drive's firmware; I can downgrade my desktop's bios; I can downgrade my desktop operating system. Those are all non-Apple products. But when I want to downgrade from iOs 7.1 to 7.0.6 because 7.1 doesn't seem stable (frozen screens and stack traces of about half a gig each), I get told that I can't. That is utterly unacceptable and reprehensible.

iPhone 5s, iOS 7.1

Posted on Mar 31, 2014 8:13 AM

13 replies

Jul 21, 2017 8:16 AM in response to Ralph9430

Nothing I've done (restart, restore) seems to solve this problem. I'm not about to send the crash stats to Apple because that would use up about 20% of my monthly data limit for each such crash. It's kinda hard to keep free space when each crash uses .5GB. So, I guess I'm stuck restoring my iPhone to factory condition several times a month.

Jul 21, 2017 8:16 AM in response to Stevo001221

After many interactions with Apple, I found a way to get rid of the core dumps in the Diagnostics Data: in iTunes, select "reset warnings" and then sync the phone. It's better than having to do a factory restore, but it still requires that I bring up Windows to run iTunes.

When I was in the market for a replacement tablet earlier this month, I chose an Android tablet because of my difficulties with my iPhone--no downgrade, and Windows/iTunes needed for almost everything. The android tablet can be mounted when I'm running my preferred o/s, Fedora Linux, and files easily transferred back and forth.

If Apple were to allow downgrades, and were to allow file manipulation by mounting the device on a Fedora Linux system, I would stay with Apple, as there are many slick features. However, since that will probably never happen, getting an Android phone, and keeping my Android tablet and my iPod touch may well be the way to go.

Mar 31, 2014 8:33 AM in response to Community User

Apple doesn't support downgrading the iOS.

First thing to try is to reset your device. Press and hold the Home and Sleep buttons simultaneously until the Apple logo appears. Let go of the buttons and let the device restart. See if that fixes your problem.

The next thing I would check is the amount of free space on your device. With iOS 7 it is recommended that you have 15-20% of the storage space on the device free. For a 16 GB device that is 2.4-3.2 GB free. For a 32 GB device that is 4.8-6.4 GB free. For a 64 GB device that is 9.6-12.8 GB free.

Next I would try a restore of your device. Let us know how these things go and if necessary create a new thread with a specific question related to the problem you are experiencing.

Mar 31, 2014 9:01 AM in response to Community User

If you're having to restore several times a month, then either you have a very misbehaving third-party app, or your iPhone has a hardware problem. I've been running iOS 7.1 since before it was officially released and have never had a crash at all, much less one that caused me to have to restore.

When you restore, are you restoring from a backup or to factory settings? If you're restoring from a backup, try restoring to factory settings, reset all your preferences, and run just with the original OS for a while and see if matters improve. If they do, then there's someting corrupted that's part of your backup that's being put back when you restore.

If matters don't improve, take or send your iPhone to Apple for analysis and probable replacement.

Regards.

May 8, 2014 4:20 AM in response to Community User

I know, apple has a pretty rad ios but with so much restrictions. I know that iPhone 4 is pretty laggy on ios 7 and I think users should be given the choice to downgrade without saving shsh. Android is so awesome cause you don't have the pain of error 3194 when downgrading or jailbreaking just to change the font of your phone. Wish apple would actually read our comments, do something about their heavily locked ios and make allow users to have more freedom. I enjoy the features of ios 7 but it's very uncustomisable.

How does one downgrade from iOS 7.1 to iOS 7.0.6?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.