Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Time machine and WD My Cloud

Hi, i have bought a WD My Cloud 2TB and i'm using a mac mini. I have already put my itunes on the mac mini and am trying to do a first time backup using time machine. However, the back up is taking far too long. It's been 12 hours and it's only done 15gb of 147gb? i intend to transfer almost a Tb but at this slow speed it's not worth it as it'll take a month? Is there a way to speed this up via USB?

I currently have the WD My Cloud plugged in to a ewall socket via a TP Link which in turn runs downstairs to my router via the TP link which are 500mb so should be quick enough? Fair enough the mac mini is running via wifi but i can't ake this downstairs so hoped there is a USB way of doing the back up via time machine and the WD MY Cloud 2Tb?

Mac mini, OS X Mavericks

Posted on Mar 31, 2014 7:48 AM

15 replies

Mar 31, 2014 10:22 AM in response to rob179m

That device is unsuitable for use with Time Machine. I know this isn't the answer you want, and I also know that the manufacturer says the device will work.

If you want network backup with Time Machine, use as the destination either an Apple Time Capsule or an external hard drive connected to another Mac or to an 802.11ac AirPort base station. Only the 802.11ac base stations support Time Machine, not any older model.

If you're determined to keep using the NAS for backup, your only recourse for any problems that result is to the manufacturer (which will blame Apple.)

Nov 1, 2014 10:23 PM in response to rob179m

I recently purchased a WD My Cloud and had this same problem. For people with the same problem, here is what I did to get Time Machine to work.

1. In Safari log onto WD MyCloud using the IP address ###.###.#.#/UI/
  2. >Settings
  3. >In "General" tab, make sure Time Machine is ON
  4. >Click "Utilities" tab
  5. >Device Maintenance
  6. >Device Power: Reboot and select OK

This takes several minutes to execute. Afterward I relog on to the server.

1. in Finder
  2. >Go
  3. >Connect to Server by typing in afp://###.###.#.##
  4. >Select WDMyCloud and sign in with your user account
  5. >Connect to Time Machine folder
  6. >Run Time Machine from Mac
  7. >Click select disk and select your Time Machine Folder

Nov 21, 2015 4:36 PM in response to coolnammy

Thank you so much coolnammy! I have been searching for an answer for countless hours (and nothing works) but finally your answer that was one year ago worked like a magic!

I now realize that I was connected as smb://(IP address) before and time machine cannot find it. Once I connect using afp://(IP address), my cloud shows up! Time machine is backing up now to my cloud as I type. Now, my question is, what is the difference between afp and smb? I am currently connected to the drive (my cloud) in both methods (afp://.... and smb://....). Does it matter? Would it back up files twice?

Nov 29, 2015 7:34 AM in response to coolnammy

For about the first year I had the WD MyCloud, re-booting it did help to speed up the TimeMachine backups, but now it no longer helps for some reason. I have tried a hard reboot by unplugging the power and re-plugging it in and a soft reboot as described in this post. It still takes many hours to do a TimeMachine backup of about 200 GB.

Feb 23, 2016 10:28 AM in response to coolnammy

Hi coolnammy, I know you wrote this awhile ago and it seems to have helped other people but maybe you can help me as I am stuck on your first line of instruction.

In Safari log onto WD MyCloud using the IP address ###.###.#.#/UI/

Sorry to be daft but computers are not my strong point. How do I logon to MyCloud using that address? I'm so frustrated (with MyCloud, just to be clear)!!! I've never used this forum so I'm not sure how you will even know that I wrote this message to you.... are you emailed a notification? Any help from anyone would be helpful.

Thank you!!

Apr 6, 2016 3:25 AM in response to sleepyseas65

Hi

coolnanny is saying to log into the WD MyCloud on your network. So you will need to know the network number of the WD cloud device.

Your router will have assigned a network number to the WD device. It will be something like 192.168.0.14 but these numbers will depend on your network. You will probably have to hop onto you router using its password to find out which number was allocated to the WD. You don't actually have to do the /UI/ at the end, the device will work it out for you. Another hint is the first three numbers WILL be the same as the first 3 numbers for your connected computer which can be found in system preferences/network on a mac.

If you can't get the client list on your router, reply back and I'll take you through some more steps.

Ian

Time machine and WD My Cloud

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.