Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Default Printer Settings

Since upgrading to Mavericks, I've been experiencing trouble with Paper Orientation. Whenever I try to print, the paper orientation defaults to landscape and I have, manually, to change it to Portrait. Previously, my default was portrait. I've gone into the Presets and find a "default Settings" but I can't change anything in the settings where it says the default is Portrait. I've tried making changes and saving the preset, but it won't let me replace or delete the Default Settings. This is particularly hindering when, as in iPhoto, there is no print setting that allows me to change the paper orientation at all.

Any suggestions as to how to overcome this?

I'm running Mac OS 10.9.2 and have updated a patch to my HP Officejet Pro L7780.

Thanks very much. This is a real headache for me.

Chet

Posted on Mar 31, 2014 8:38 AM

5 replies

Apr 6, 2014 12:26 PM in response to Czet

First turn on the CUPS (printing subsystem in OS X) web interface:

In the Terminal utility:

Type the following: "sudo cupsctl WebInterface=yes"

You must enter the "sudo" password, this is the admin password you use on your computer.

Open Safari (or any web browser), and go to "localhost:631/admin"

You need to enter your admin password the first time for this, too.

Go to Manage Printers, highlight the printer you want to change - which gets you some more menus. Now in the Administration pull-down menu, choose Set default options, and see if what you want to set is available, and set it.

Default Printer Settings

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.