Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

do i need norton or other security for my mac Thanks

do i need norton or other security for my mac

Posted on Mar 31, 2014 9:09 AM

5 replies

Mar 31, 2014 9:14 AM in response to andrew.chelsea

Only if you run Windows, or use peer2peer software.

When getting mass e-mails, make sure the sender uses BCC.

Do not publish your e-mail in the open on forums.

Keep your Java and Flash up to date through Oracle and Adobe website (do not use the updater windows that popup from time to time).

Backup your data:

https://discussions.apple.com/docs/DOC-1992

When using WiFi use 802.11g or better with WPA2 encryption, and WiFi ethernet bridges for those machines that only support 802.11b (Apple's original Airport).

And make sure your Apple menu -> System preferences -> sharing firewall is turned on, with all the checkboxes unchecked except when you need them.

Mar 31, 2014 9:30 AM in response to andrew.chelsea

Norton Antivirus (made by Symantec) has a very long and illustrious reputation for mangling Mac OS X systems, sometimes to the point where a complete reinstall is necessary. Among other things, it installs kernel extensions which are known to cause kernel panics and system freezes; it contains known and documented bugs which can silently corrupt Adobe Photoshop and Adobe InDesign files, destroy a user's ability to authenticate as an administrator, and (on PPC systems) can cause Classic to stop functioning; and Symantec has on at least two occasions now released flawed .dat file updates which erroneously report certain critical Mac OS X files as "viruses." (Deleting these "viruses" causes damage to the system that in some cases renders it unbootable.)

You may find this User Tip on Viruses, Trojan Detection and Removal, as well as general Internet Security and Privacy, useful: The User Tip seeks to offer guidance on the main security threats and how to avoid them.

https://discussions.apple.com/docs/DOC-2435

More useful information can also be found here:

www.thesafemac.com/mmg

Mar 31, 2014 11:29 AM in response to andrew.chelsea

Not Norton, never. But depends which OS and Mac. Running an AV like Sophoson 10.6 Snow Leopard right now, since it looks like Apple has probably abandoned it, might not be a bad idea.

And might not even be a bad idea on any of the more recent OSs, as Apple is kind of lackadaisical in getting out security patches and XProtectupdates in a timely fashion.

I'm running it both on Snow and Mountain Lion, with no adverse affects.

But you do need to reaize that it will not make you bullet proof. You will still need to practice good browsing and security habits and keep everything updated.

do i need norton or other security for my mac Thanks

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.