Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Burnt iPhone Lightning cable !?

Recently, my iPhone charging cable was working pretty bad, connecting and disconnecting from time to time. This afternoon, it got worse. Indeed, some smoke litteraly came out of the cable and obviously it won't charge anymore... I have never used it in a bad way and all my previous cables 30-pin are totally fine. Plus, the cable has had a weird shape for a few month now. I went to an Apple Store to get a new one (for free) and the man I talked to said that it was 1 year and half old so he could not do anything. So, if I have understood correctly, replacing a cable which must cost 1€ is less important for Apple than potentially causing a fire because of this cable? Seriously ?

http://youtu.be/N0nGX71DllU

User uploaded file

User uploaded file

iPhone 5, iOS 7.1

Posted on Mar 31, 2014 10:35 AM

2 replies

Apr 1, 2014 4:21 AM in response to whatheck

Thanks for the advice. Unfortunately, this is not due to a bad utilisation of the cable. I make all my cables last as long as possible, and even my 6 year-old Macbook Pro charging cable is perfectly fine!

A goodwill gesture from Apple would have been appreciated, especially in this risky situation...

Edit: by the way, according to a european consumer law, every product bought within EU includes a 2-year warranty. It doesn't precise if it covers the device itself or the accessories as well. Thus, the cable should be covered by this law, shouldn't it?

Burnt iPhone Lightning cable !?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.