Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

1333 mhz ddr3 vs ddr3 1600 mhz

can anyone please tell me if i can replace my 2x2 ddr3 1333 mhz ram with 2x4 ddr3 1600 mhz on my mac book pro early 2011

Posted on Mar 31, 2014 10:49 AM

22 replies

Mar 31, 2014 1:00 PM in response to ali--1985

Use the correct RAM for your specific model Mac. Anything other than that is incorrect and may not work.

Even if the speed difference alleged in the OWC link above is realized, it's a 2% increase. Upgrading from Mountain Lion to Mavericks alone on that same model MBP resulted in about the same performance increase, and it's free. Incorrect RAM may manifest itself in random crashes that can appear immediately or years from now, long after you have forgotten about having installed it.

Mar 31, 2014 12:55 PM in response to ali--1985

ali--1985 wrote:

I do agree with what you all saying but the thing that is confusing me is that the 1600 mhz elpida is actually from a later macbook pro model as i am buying it from a friend that has just upgraded to 2x8 on his so thats why i thought it would work

You will not hurt your MBP trying it. It may work it may not. I have experimented installing RAM from a 2011 MBP into a 2010 MBP. In that case that RAM worked but was down clocked.

Ciao.

Mar 31, 2014 1:07 PM in response to BobRz

BobRz wrote:

The problem to me is it may work sometimes. Meaning it may panic sometimes too. I just don't see the benefit unless it's free.

Yes, point well taken, and there could be other factors that might cause problems. I have yet to hear of a MBP be destroyed by incompatible RAM, they just don't operate correctly thus no harm experimenting.

Ciao.

1333 mhz ddr3 vs ddr3 1600 mhz

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.