Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Can you create a line chart with fixed reference lines?

I want to create a simple chart that tracks my blood pressure. It's straight-forward to enter readings into a table and create a line graph based on the observations. What I would like to do though is to have a a fixed horizontal reference line that marks the "normal" threshold so I can easily see when the chart goes above and below the threshold line. There doesn't seem to be a built-in way to do it so I thought maybe I would get fancy and add a data series that was basically a static fixed number to a new, hidden table. What happened when I did this though it only adds one data point at the beginning and I can't get it to make a line unless I create a new copy of the threshold value for each observation. Any ideas?

Posted on Mar 31, 2014 1:18 PM

10 replies

Mar 31, 2014 4:10 PM in response to Jerrold Green1

That's a good tip and it almost gets me what I want but not quite unless I'm missing some trick. I'm able to create a scatter chart and add my observations and that part is good, but I can't quite get the reference line the work unless I create a table coloumn that has the reference value for each observation. What I was really hoping to do is to just have one cell in a table somewhere that is my reference value. I tried doing something like X Value = Observations::A and Y Value is Thresholds::A1 where column A in the Observations table is the date and the cell Thresholds::A1 is the cell that contains the value I want for my refernce line. What ends up happening is that the reference line only shows up as a single point on the first observation date. Am I doing something wrong? Or can Numbers not do what I am trying to do?

Mar 31, 2014 6:43 PM in response to Tom Roehl

Hi Tom,

A scatter chart will plot only the tata points that it has, and will connect only consecutive data points in a series, If there are gaps in the column containing the 'straight line' values, then points on either side of that gap will not be connected.

If the reason you want to enter only one value is that you what to be able to shift the reference value, that can be done. Select a cell to contain that value (eg. C1), then in all cells inthe column to contain the value to be charted as the reference line place the formula =$C$1

User uploaded file

(BP values generated randomly within a range).

Regards,

Barry

Mar 31, 2014 6:52 PM in response to Barry

Barry, your example is basically what I am trying to achieve. The only thing I was trying to avoid was having to repeat the threshold values for each observation. I.e. the 80 and 120 values in your example.

The solution Jerry gave gets closer but I would have to update the ending date for the second row of the Limit Series table each time I add a new observation. I was kind of hoping that I could create a data series where the X value is the date and the Y value was a fixed number but I can't get Numbers to accept it. One possible solution is to see if there is a formula that I can use for the second date in the Limit Series table which returns the latest date in the observation table. Is there such a function?

Jun 14, 2014 8:36 AM in response to Tom Roehl

I am trying to do something similar with a slight variation.

I'm putting together a case report for a mdeical study and I want to show a plot of a patient's labaratory values with the normal range of lab values in the background. See below TSH (thyroid stimulating hormone) example. Ignore Free T4.

3/11/13, 13:10

4/2/13, 11:05:00

3/13/14, 15:31:00

Reference Range

TSH

(0.3 to 3.0)

User uploaded file

Is this possible in numbers? or do i need to use different software?

Can you create a line chart with fixed reference lines?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.