Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Converting 1080i60 footage to 1080p 23fps 1 H.264 Quicktime .MOV file

I'm trying to create the above for a one hour movie I shot and edited in DVCPro HD 1080i60 on FCP6.

One film festival I'm entering requests the movie in the above file format on a separate disc from the actual DVD screener version of the film I'll be sending in as part of my entry.

I tried Quicktime Conversion out of the FCP6 timeline and got a 12gb file that plays well on my computer. When I tried customizing a Compressor setting to get the file down to a size that would fit on a disc I wasn't happy with the quality of any of my test compressions.

Any suggestions on how to create this file in a size that fits on a disc will be much appreciated!

Posted on Mar 31, 2014 5:13 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Mar 31, 2014 6:04 PM

Compressor doesn't have any good presets for the type of file you will want to export...in my experience. You almost want a broadcast H.264 file. 1920x1080...target Bitrate of 32Mbps, maximum Bitrate of 40Mbps. VBR 2 pass...possibly. That'll get you good quality, but higher data rate. 1Pass VBR might be what you need to settle on. This is what I see in Media Encoder by Adobe. Your audio you'll want to compress to AAC 48K Stereo.

Compressing is a dark art, and takes a lot of trial and error...or lots of knowhow. Or good presets.

Big issue is going 60i to 23.98. There'll be a skippiness that you cannot avoid. Because you didn't shoot with pulldown in mind (removing those 6 frames per second). It's easier to convert 24fps to 30fps interlaced, than 30 Interlaced to 24 progressive.

7 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Mar 31, 2014 6:04 PM in response to Newton the Newt

Compressor doesn't have any good presets for the type of file you will want to export...in my experience. You almost want a broadcast H.264 file. 1920x1080...target Bitrate of 32Mbps, maximum Bitrate of 40Mbps. VBR 2 pass...possibly. That'll get you good quality, but higher data rate. 1Pass VBR might be what you need to settle on. This is what I see in Media Encoder by Adobe. Your audio you'll want to compress to AAC 48K Stereo.

Compressing is a dark art, and takes a lot of trial and error...or lots of knowhow. Or good presets.

Big issue is going 60i to 23.98. There'll be a skippiness that you cannot avoid. Because you didn't shoot with pulldown in mind (removing those 6 frames per second). It's easier to convert 24fps to 30fps interlaced, than 30 Interlaced to 24 progressive.

Apr 2, 2014 8:25 AM in response to Shane Ross

You can vastly improve the quality of the frame rate change in Compressor by enabling Frame Controls in the frame control panel and setting the output fields to progressive, the deinterlace to best and the rate conversion to best and set duration to 100% of source. Don't forget to change the video frame rate in the encoder tab: video settings first.

I used this technique for a feature doc mainly shot at 29.97 SD that was blown up to 2K for a Digital Cinema Package. For the most part, it looked great.

Apr 2, 2014 7:58 PM in response to Studio X

but you can greatly speed it up by enabling qmaster. Here's a great webpage about doing this

http://www.digitalrebellion.com/blog/posts/using_compressor_with_multiple_cores. html

And here's a user tip about using Compressor

https://discussions.apple.com/docs/DOC-2611

I always recommend that you run a short test for anything that's gonna take a long time like this. You can set an in and out in the preview window in Compressor for the test.

Converting 1080i60 footage to 1080p 23fps 1 H.264 Quicktime .MOV file

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.